Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

rename efi boot windows 10 bootcamp os x imac

In order to install windows 10 on os x, i had created empty space in partition section of Disk Utility. Then installed w10 with sd card.

The volume of Bootcamp now named as "EFI boot" wich is shown when loading to windows with "alt" button. And i can't load to windows with Startup Disk selection. How to rename "EFI boot" volume? Disk utility says it's labeld as "BOOTCAMP"

iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011)

os x 10.10.5

bootcamp support drivers 5.1.5621

moved here rename efi boot windows 10 bootcamp os x imac

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 4:55 AM

16 replies

Aug 29, 2015 9:03 AM in response to one2gov

The boot ability is derived from the MSR not the MSD. As a test, please rename disk0s4 to an arbitrary name using diskutil renameVolume.

The syntax is

diskutil renameVolume

Usage: diskutil rename[Volume] MountPoint|DiskIdentifier|DeviceNode newName

The new name is subject to file system-specific naming restrictions.

Ownership of the specified volume may be required.

diskutil renameVolume disk0s4 <SomeName>

Aug 29, 2015 4:31 PM in response to one2gov

I updated my previous post with supportability of your iMac model. There is a reason to see the EFI Boot. It may be easier to show first rather than to explain.

From OSX Terminal,

sudo mkdir -p /Volumes/EFI

sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI

cd /Volumes/EFI

ls -lR

Copy and paste each command in the Terminal. The "sudo" commands will prompt for your password, and it will not be echoed back. You may also see a warning about improper use of "sudo" and potential data loss due to "abuse" of the command.

May 14, 2016 7:38 PM in response to Loner T

Hi Loner T,

Thank you for your reply. I thought I should describe what I did, should it help someone out there.

I had been trying to install Bootcamp W10 on a 2012 Retina Macbook Pro running El Capitan. I used a 160gb HDD to attempt to install windows 10 and after bootcamp installation loaded and the mac restarted, I was left with a black screen.

Seeing that there was no way to go about using bootcamp to install it, I merged the partition and re-partitioned an unformatted empty space using command line. I proceeded to install windows via EFI Boot. I managed to install windows but everytime I selected the boot option, it would appear as "EFI Boot" instead of "Windows". The Bootcamp drivers on Windows did not work properly too.

The main reason why bootcamp installation did not work for me was because I was using an external harddrive instead of a flash drive. I believe the Mac has issues booting into the EHD after the Bootcamp installation restarts. (Saw this on another thread, thanks again Loner T!) Everything worked smoothly once I got my hands on a flash drive.

With regards to this thread, I did not manage to rename the initial EFI Boot partition.

rename efi boot windows 10 bootcamp os x imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.