Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

using external hard drive for backup and storage

Internal hard drive is now full. Purchased a 3TB firewire connected hd to use for storage and backup. Should I partition the hd? When running iPhoto or iMovie will those programs find the files once I move them?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), GRaid 3Tb external HD

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 7:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 7:05 AM

If you want to store backups and data on the same external drive, you must partition the external drive. To do it, just open Disk Utility (in /Applications/Utilities), choose the external drive in the sidebar and go to Partition tab, so you can create a new partition. Both of them have to be formatted in "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)", because you will be using them for backups (Time Machine or a clone application like Carbon Copy Cloner) and for iPhoto and iMovie libraries.

I'd recommend you to get another external drive, so you have as many space as possible for creating backups, but you should not have any problem with a 3 TB external drive.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2015 7:05 AM in response to shultzkt

If you want to store backups and data on the same external drive, you must partition the external drive. To do it, just open Disk Utility (in /Applications/Utilities), choose the external drive in the sidebar and go to Partition tab, so you can create a new partition. Both of them have to be formatted in "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)", because you will be using them for backups (Time Machine or a clone application like Carbon Copy Cloner) and for iPhoto and iMovie libraries.

I'd recommend you to get another external drive, so you have as many space as possible for creating backups, but you should not have any problem with a 3 TB external drive.

using external hard drive for backup and storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.