Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes6464.msi Issues - Unable to Resolve

I recently reverted to Windows 7 from Windows 10, due to various sound issues, and when I did iTunes had stopped working. I tried to update but got the error message saying that "iTunes6464.msi" could not be found.

I searched this forum and found the usual Help page for this issue (Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates), and went through the steps one by one. I tried to uninstall and remove all files, but when I tried to reinstall I got the same error message. I then used 7-Zip to locate the file, but again when I tried to install it said the file "is not a valid installation package for the product iTunes". The same issue happens when I try to uninstall iTunes.

I then decided to try installing an earlier build of iTunes, but as I can't uninstall the old version, it won't let me. I now have a computer with no iTunes, and no way of installing any version of it, so my iPhone and iPod are completely unsupported now. Is there any way to fix this issue without performing a full system reformat?

iPod (5th generation), iOS 8.4

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 3:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 5:38 AM

Press WinLogoKey+R, type Regedit in the Run dialog and press Enter/Return.

Click Edit > Find, type in itunes6464.msi (or the name of the problem .msi if different), change the Look at boxes so that only Data is ticked, then click Find Next.

You should find it somewhere like:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\{Long string of letters & numbers}\SourceList

Right-click on the immediate parent key with the long string of letters & numbers that contains the SourceList with the reference to the .msi file and click Export, save it to say the Desktop with the name iTunes.reg so the data can be restored if removing it doesn't help. Now right click on the key again and select Delete from the context menu. This should stop the Windows Installer from looking for the .msi when you reinstall iTunes.

tt2

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2015 5:38 AM in response to Bortron

Press WinLogoKey+R, type Regedit in the Run dialog and press Enter/Return.

Click Edit > Find, type in itunes6464.msi (or the name of the problem .msi if different), change the Look at boxes so that only Data is ticked, then click Find Next.

You should find it somewhere like:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\{Long string of letters & numbers}\SourceList

Right-click on the immediate parent key with the long string of letters & numbers that contains the SourceList with the reference to the .msi file and click Export, save it to say the Desktop with the name iTunes.reg so the data can be restored if removing it doesn't help. Now right click on the key again and select Delete from the context menu. This should stop the Windows Installer from looking for the .msi when you reinstall iTunes.

tt2

Aug 29, 2015 12:52 PM in response to Bortron

Try this if the above solution doesn't work (at least for me it didn't work)

1. https://support2.microsoft.com/fixit/

2. Select "All problem areas"

3. Scroll down the list and select "Fix problems that programs cannot be installed or uninstalled"

4. Download that, go through the steps. Select the option that you have a problem with "uninstalling" program. On the list of programs, select "Itunes."

This option worked for me, and hopefully it'll work for you. I don't know how long this will take, I left my computer on overnight. Good luck!

Aug 29, 2015 2:58 PM in response to ylnguyen

Thanks. This may help the OP, and is one of the suggestions you can find in my user tip, however that fixit doesn't work for anyone running Windows 10. Another possibility is to unpack the previous installer, rather than the current one, and use the itunes6464.msi from that to uninstall the old version before trying to install the current one again.

tt2

iTunes6464.msi Issues - Unable to Resolve

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.