Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Playlists won't stay sorted

I am using Windows 7 & iTunes 12, both fully updated on a late model Dell PC.

Recently, I noticed that my playlists will not stay sorted. For example, I have a playlist with about 15 songs that I created manually by dragging them in. At first, I had them sorted in manual order.

Later I decided that I would like to have them sorted by song name. So I clicked "edit" and then changed the sort to name. It looked good, so I clicked done. Everything is fine for that session.

But, if I exit iTunes and then go back in, the playlist is not sorted properly. When edit the playlist (again), it indicates that it's sorted by name at the top, but it's not. I think it's back in manual order. While editing the play list, if I select the same option that already indicated (sort by name), then it's fine for that session.

Any ideas on how I can get this sort order to stick for the long haul?

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 7:10 AM

4 replies

Aug 31, 2015 5:25 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you for the reply tt2, but I'm afraid it didn't work for me. I opened iTunes, clicked the playlist, chose edit, chose sort by name (this was already selected, though not actually sorted properly). Once it was sorted correctly, I clicked done, then tried your suggestion: I right-clicked the playlist and clicked copy to play order. I exited and re-opened iTunes and was disappointed to find the playlists still sorted improperly. Any other ideas?

On another note, the lastest version of iTunes cannot seem to remember where my library is stored, either! I must hold shift when I open iTunes and open my library manually. Otherwise, it thinks this is the first time I ever opened iTunes and makes me agree to the EULA, warns that it's not the default player, asks consent to share info with Apple, and gives me the tour, etc. I suppose this is a topic for a new thread, but I wonder if the 2 problems might be related. The sorting problem has been going on longer, so I kind of doubt it.

Playlists won't stay sorted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.