Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PowerMac G5 Not Seeing OS X DVD

Hi,

I am working on a PowerMac G5 (Early 2005) 2.7Ghz model for a customer. They brought it to me because they needed a replacement video card because his son broke off a transistor(Some How?). I purchased a new video card, and problem #1 was solved. But then I ran into another problem. It had an empty hard drive with no OS, no nothing. I made a OS X Tiger disk off of the Original OEM .dmg from an official disk, and made a boot USB. The "option key" menu did not show the usb. So, I tried OS X Leopard (I said Leopard 10.5, not "Snow" Leopard 10.6 witch is incompatible with PowerPC Macs") and still no luck. Next I tried both of the DVD's I had. Still, nothing. I do not usually work on Pre-Intel machines. I only have one, which is a Powerbook G3 Wallstreet. Serial for the G5 will be included so you all can see what I am working with!

Please Help Me figure this one out 🙂

Thanks,

Bradley Lokietek

PS: Serial is G8********RU4

<Edited by Host>

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), null

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 6:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 10:32 AM

Hi Brad,

Most PPC Macs cannot boot OSX off USB if external Firewire Optical is needed.

Some PPC Macs can be coerced to boot off USB using Open Firmware hack...

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20060301112336384

Another option would be to pull the SATA Drive, Partition it with a small partition to restore the DMG to.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2015 10:32 AM in response to brad737

Hi Brad,

Most PPC Macs cannot boot OSX off USB if external Firewire Optical is needed.

Some PPC Macs can be coerced to boot off USB using Open Firmware hack...

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20060301112336384

Another option would be to pull the SATA Drive, Partition it with a small partition to restore the DMG to.

PowerMac G5 Not Seeing OS X DVD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.