Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos for Mac, stuck on "updating" trying to upload to iCloud Photos Library

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 5:04 AM

10 replies

Oct 13, 2015 6:42 AM in response to aleksjandric

Ugh, I took the plunge last night on my Mac (El Capitan) with a very large Photos library (110,000 about 500GB) and after the first night it appears to already be stuck. I tried restarting Photos, the Mac, pausing/resuming upload, and all of that amounted to only a few more photos making it through and now it's stuck again.

Is there any solution to this? Thanks.

Nov 13, 2015 6:42 AM in response to aleksjandric

I have a MacPro running Yosemite. I "converted" my Aperture library to Photos to see if it was a viable platform for sharing. The library was on a Drobo and recognized as the System Photo Library by Photos. No problem viewing the photos and iCloud began the upload process. Uploading went pretty fast up to about 1880 out of about 6,000 photos. About half of the 1880 were already in the cloud via iPhone, etc. Then uploading stalled to about one photo an hour, then one a day, then no more uploads.

I checked with my ISP. They don't throttle. Service is slow, but not that slow. iCloud shows 173 Gb of free storage; my Photos Library is 125 Gb. I tried uploading some photos to Facebook. Nearly instantaneous. I uploaded to a couple of other sites with no problem. I checked the Preferences in Photos and System Preferences. I reset them several times over several days. Finally, I copied the Photos library over to my boot drive on the MacPro. In doing so, I discovered Photos had already duplicated the Library on the boot drive. Oh, well, now I had two. Deleted the "volunteer" library and made the one I transferred from the Drobo the new System Photo Library. Overnight, Photos uploaded 5 more photos, at least according to the count under the photos tab when I log into iCloud.

I;m struggling to think of anything else I can try.

Nov 16, 2015 6:16 AM in response to Chorizo

Update: last night my count of uploaded photos rose by about 100. During the day yesterday, it looked like maybe 4-6 uploaded over 12 hours. I'm wondering if the upload process involves multiple photos at the same time, so no activity is recorded, then suddenly the total jumps. In short, the process is still slow and unpredictable overall.

Jan 13, 2016 7:12 AM in response to Chorizo

I'll make this my final update. So far (January 13, 2016), Photos has uploaded over 8100 photos and videos to iCloud. I logged the total in iCloud daily. Sometimes the total would increase by 10 in 24 hours and, once in a while, by 100. In any case, over the period of 2 months I got a pretty consistent upload number weekly of about 1,000. It took a long time to build the iCloud library, but I was ultimately successful.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.