Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort Extreme shows 2 different IPs: 192.168... & 169.254...

I use a AirPort Extreme for my wireless connections. I try to control which IPs connects to my WLAN and look this with WakeOnLan. I have configured my router (not the APE, but the telekom-router that assigns the IPs and offers also the signal for the APE) to give/assign IPs from 192.168.x.1 to 192.168.x.199.

So I cannot understand why the MAC Adress of my APE is shown twice on the WoL: the first time with a 192.168.x.x IP and a second time with a 169.254.x.x.

I looked around all the config. options but a cannot find where is this 169.254.x.x setting. Is the APE furnished with 2 Cards/Network-Adapters? 😕

Where can I have control on this?

Every kind of help will be appreciated.

Ciao

Massimo

AirPort Extreme

FW Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 8:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 8:22 AM

A 169.254.x.x IP address is simply telling you that at the time the check was run, the device in question had not received a valid IP address, so it assigned one to itself.

169.254.x.x is called a Self-Assigned IP address. It is usually temporary, until a good IP address is recognized.

More info here.....in case you are interested.

http://www.cnet.com/news/fix-self-assigned-ip-addresses-in-os-x/

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2015 8:22 AM in response to Massimo Lombardo

A 169.254.x.x IP address is simply telling you that at the time the check was run, the device in question had not received a valid IP address, so it assigned one to itself.

169.254.x.x is called a Self-Assigned IP address. It is usually temporary, until a good IP address is recognized.

More info here.....in case you are interested.

http://www.cnet.com/news/fix-self-assigned-ip-addresses-in-os-x/

Aug 30, 2015 3:56 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you Bob for the tip and the link. I tried as described (trashing the firewall preferences), but WoL is yet seeing the APE with two IPs. Its also annoying that the "awake" IP is the 169.254.x.x one and not the configured 192.168.x.x IP 😐 😠 😟.

Is there a way to reach the APE without GUI, with the terminal with deeper configurations possibilities?

Ciao, have a nice day.

AirPort Extreme shows 2 different IPs: 192.168... & 169.254...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.