Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How long will my iPhone continue to function with cracked screen?

A few days ago, I noticed a 2.5 inch crack down the side of my iPhone 5s glass. The phone is nearly 2 years old. I am not sure how it happened, the shock could not have been too dramatic because I would have remembered dropping it, or anything else traumatic that could have happened to the phone. It is in a good Otterbox protective case. That being said, how long with the iPhone continue to function before the broken glass becomes a problem? It won't leak any chemicals, will it? I have insurance with $150 deductible, but since I am coming due for a phone upgrade anyway in a few weeks AND Apple is going to be announcing a new phone soon also, I am wondering if I should wait on getting a new phone. I put an old adhesive screen protector over the screen in hopes that this will add a little support. I just don't want the phone to suddenly cease to function. So far, it does not appear that the other iPhone functions are affected.

Please, I do not need advice on providers, service plans, contracts (or lack thereof). I just want to know how long the phone will last in its current condition, and if I have to worry about anything toxic in the meantime.

Thank you,

Andrea

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 5:05 AM

4 replies

Aug 29, 2015 5:11 AM in response to RocketGirl1701

There really is no way for anyone here to know what will happen with your phone over time. At best, people may guess, but it would be a pure guess. While there is no guarantee there will be a new iPhone announced, it is coming up on the "traditional" time for such announcements. However, anything new will likely also not be available for awhile after any announcement.

All you co do is hope your phone hangs in there long enough to optimize your upgrade options. As long as it is functional for your needs, no harm in waiting before replacing.

Aug 29, 2015 6:16 AM in response to RocketGirl1701

I'm inclined to agree with Brian. Although it will cost about one hundred dollars to repair the phone, you'll be able to sell it for more than that (or depending on your carrier, trade it in) when you buy a new phone. A phone with a cracked screen isn't worth much. You'll also spare yourself the anxiety of wondering if your phone will fail before you can get a new one.

But, no, nothing toxic is going to leak out. With the screen protector over it, you probably won't cut yourself, either.

If you have not already done so, back up everything on your phone NOW. If the screen fails completely, you may not be able to .

How long will my iPhone continue to function with cracked screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.