Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

uploaded Yosemiti and programs/apps will not open

On my iMac 27 inch I finally decided I would download Yosemite. I have grown used to it now on my MacBook Air. It took a long time to download the Yosemite software yesterday and after 10 hours it kind of stalled. Now I can’t open iTunes. It tells me I have to put in a password for iCloud for iTunes but it will not allow me to put in my Apple ID password. And, every other app can take as long as 10 minutes to open. I have yet been able to open a folder of documents. I did finally get iPhoto to open but it took it all night to reconfigure my photos. Carrying this desktop into an Apple store is really difficult since the only Apple Store in Western MI is in a mall and the store is in the middle of the mall.

I read in other posts that people had the same problem.

I really would appreciate help.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 5:35 AM

2 replies

Aug 29, 2015 6:21 AM in response to kristifromkalamazoo

A Safe Mode boot deletes system caches that may help after an OS X update or upgrade.

Top left corner of your screen click the Apple > Shut Down.

After your Mac shuts down, wait 10 seconds, then press the power button.

Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold down the Shift key. You should press the Shift key as soon as possible after you hear the startup tone, but not before.

Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo and progress indicator.

Once you are in Safe Mode, go back to the Apple menu. From the drop down menu click: Restart

About Safe Mode

If a Safe Mode boot doesn't help, the disk may need repairing.

Launch Disk Utility located in HD > Applications > Utilities

Select the startup disk on the left then select the First Aid tab.

Click: Verify Disk (not Verify Disk Permissions)

If Disk Utility reports errors, restart your Mac while holding down the Command + R keys.

From there you should be able to access the built in utilities in OS X Recoveryto repair the startup disk and restore OS X.

Aug 30, 2015 2:53 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Carolyn,

I did everything you suggested a couple of times. Nothing really fixed the iTunes issue. I still cannot open iTunes at all. When the computer is reopened after a restart it takes me to a black screen with a small window asking for my iCloud password for iTunes. However, it will not let me enter anything in the password box and I can’t delete the box. I have to do a Command/Option/Esc to do a force quit on iTunes to get it to stop. I can open everything but iTunes at this point. However it can take a full 2-4 minutes to open a document. I’ve never had this before.

Note: When I did the process for Safe Mode it never opened up so that I could see the top navigation bar with the apple icon to do the restart. Instead the screen that was revealed had a restart icon at the bottom with an icon to shut down and I think “guest." That is how I did the restart for that process. I’m not sure if that made any difference.

The utility check revealed no problems. However, in my Applications to Utilities there is nothing that says startup disk. I used the Disk Utility and that got me to First Aid. Can I assume this is what you meant?

I appreciate your help. But "no go" at this point. Any other suggestions?

Sincerely,

KristifromKalamazoo

uploaded Yosemiti and programs/apps will not open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.