Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Searching for an iCloud and iCloud Drive

Am I right in thinking there is a difference between photos in my "iCloud Drive", and photos in my "iCloud Photo Library" ?

I can find my iCloud Drive content Ok, (it appears in my Mac Mini's Finder menu), but how do I access the iCloud Photo library from either my iPhone 5C or my Mac Mini ?

My iPhone 5C has a setting which says - "Automatically upload and store your entire library in iCloud -----"

- which "library" is being referred to - photos on my phone or photos on my Mac Mini.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), iPad Mini, iPhone 5c, Watch Sport.

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 6:23 AM

10 replies

Aug 30, 2015 10:03 AM in response to Eric Root

Very helpful - thanks !

Now that I understand the above, this is how I would like matters photographic to work ----

Copies of Photos/Videos taken on the iPhone to automatically upload to iCloud as soon as wifi is available, originals to stay on the phone full size until deleted. But iPhone not to download/sync. other photos/videos from iCloud originating on my Mac Mini or iPads.

Sep 7, 2015 3:57 AM in response to Eric Root

Basically I use my iPhone 5C for stills and short movie sequences - so when filming I need the most space on the phone to temporarily hold new material until it is transferred to my Mac Mini for turning into a film - when it is wiped off the Phone to get space for the next film material.

So an automatic backup to the Cloud would be useful, but what I don't need is my Phone also downloading photos from two other pads, or even worse downloading thousands of low resolution copies of my entire Cloud collection. The last time I turned on, on my iPhone, the "iCloud Photo Library", a tiny line of script said - "preparing 2116" items !

Searching for an iCloud and iCloud Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.