Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring AppleCare to a new iPhone after a year.

AppleCare for iPhone is good for 2 years. If after the first year, I replace my iPhone with a new one, can I transfer the remaining year of AppleCare to the new iPhone?

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 7:10 AM

3 replies

Aug 29, 2015 7:23 AM in response to sr23

If the phone is replaced under warranty by Apple, the AppleCare will attach to the replacement phone.

If you purchase a new phone, you'll need to buy AppleCare for that new phone. However, you may be able to get a bit more for your original phone when you sell it if it has AppleCare as the AppleCare, as I recall, follows the phone and the new owner would be able to make use of it.

Aug 29, 2015 7:46 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Yeah, but I am trading my iPhone in to T-Mobile, not selling it to a person. I must trade it in even though my Verizon phone works perfectly on the T-Mobile network. If I don't trade the phone in, T-Mobile won't reimburse me for Verizon's early termination fee.

I wonder what people who use carriers' trade-in programs do. Do they not buy AppleCare? Do they just eat the extra cost (pay for two years of AppleCare, but use only one and buy AppleCare for the new phone)?

Transferring AppleCare to a new iPhone after a year.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.