Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Reachability" Box Giving Odd Information About URL

Hello, I'm setting up my OS X Yosemite Server to be accessed over the internet through the use of a domain name. I was having a lot of problems initially connecting to it until I found out that I should not use the “www” at the beginning of the name when configuring, for example “samplename.com” will work, but “www.samplename.com” will NOT work.

So now I'm able to access the server’s web server over the internet, however in the “Reachability” box of the "Overview" tab, it gives me the following information:

External IP Address: [ It gives the GATEWAY IP Address rather than the PUBLIC IP address for some reason.. ]

Public host name: None [ NOTE: Why “None”? Then it says: “This server’s host name resolves to an IP address that does not match this server.” ]

Services Available: No available services [ NOTE: It says this even though the websites service is running and functional from the URL! ]

Does anyone know why it would be having these issues? I initially did accidentally have the Domain name pointing to the “Gateway IP” rather than the “Usable (Public) IP”, but I fixed that. Could the old incorrect IP address be cached somehow?

Thank you for your help!

OS X Server-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 5:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 8:06 AM

If you haven't already done so after you latest changes, do a Restart to make certain your changes "take".

Server help describes how reachability works. The hostname and certificate-name must match exactly, or the service is considered unreachable.

View Internet reachability details

Reachability testing lets you know if clients for your services can access your server over the Internet.

The Server app securely sends network traffic to serverstatus.apple.com, and asks automated servers at Apple to try connecting to your server (from a 17.x.x.x IP address) for each service that’s enabled. Because Apple servers are outside your local network, they can simulate external clients trying to connect to your server. The results are shown in the Server app.

This service provides a reliable way to have an external source check your network connectivity. It’s frustrating when you believe everything is configured correctly, but you have no way to test the connections. This service gives you instant feedback about whether your configuration actually provides external accessibility.

You can see the following details:

• The external IP address of your server
  • The public hostname of the server (the reverse-DNS entry for the external IP address)
  • The last time reachability was checked
  • The list of services found available to the Internet
10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2015 8:06 AM in response to emu123

If you haven't already done so after you latest changes, do a Restart to make certain your changes "take".

Server help describes how reachability works. The hostname and certificate-name must match exactly, or the service is considered unreachable.

View Internet reachability details

Reachability testing lets you know if clients for your services can access your server over the Internet.

The Server app securely sends network traffic to serverstatus.apple.com, and asks automated servers at Apple to try connecting to your server (from a 17.x.x.x IP address) for each service that’s enabled. Because Apple servers are outside your local network, they can simulate external clients trying to connect to your server. The results are shown in the Server app.

This service provides a reliable way to have an external source check your network connectivity. It’s frustrating when you believe everything is configured correctly, but you have no way to test the connections. This service gives you instant feedback about whether your configuration actually provides external accessibility.

You can see the following details:

• The external IP address of your server
  • The public hostname of the server (the reverse-DNS entry for the external IP address)
  • The last time reachability was checked
  • The list of services found available to the Internet

Aug 29, 2015 9:07 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

"... The hostname and certificate-name must match exactly, or the service is considered unreachable."

Ah, that could be the issue, thank you.. I did purchase a certificate for “www.samplename.com” rather than just “samplename.com”.. I will contact the company I purchased it from to see if I can get it modified, although I’m not optimistic about that.

Aug 29, 2015 11:32 AM in response to emu123

Certificates are something that can be deferred until after DNS is working.

Certificates do not effect network reachability, though certificate mismatches will be flagged as an error when attempting to establish a secure connection.

Using a domain name of www.example.com — the example.com, example.org and example.net domains are reserved for documentation, obfuscation and related — does work just fine, so there's probably a DNS error lurking here somewhere, if you had problems accessing the site via www host name — if that's the name of the host.

Since you have a gateway, you likely also have NAT here, and if you have NAT, then you need local DNS on the internal network.

If you have an internal network, you're either using the same name inside and out — which gets a little tricky — or you're using a separate domain or subdomain inside. If you're using the same name inside and out, you'll need to track changes in both pools of DNS servers.

If you're using separate domains, then you should always get the external IP address of your host — your IP traffic is passing through the gateway and back in through the NAT — and so seeing the public IP address is normal.

Here is some reading on setting up DNS on OS X Server, if you've not already found that.

If you're obfuscating that domain as I suspect, please realize that "samplename.com" is a real and registered domain. FWIW.

Aug 30, 2015 4:37 AM in response to MrHoffman

Thanks for your help, it seems that the problem would most likely be a DNS issue like you say it is, judging from the information that you specified. I’m not so familiar with such technical aspects of networking, although it is a topic that I intend to learn more about and DNS seems like an important area to have a good understanding of. I can tell that your tips will be very useful pointers when looking into that.

Seemingly my server is at least functional so far even with those DNS issues (I hope!), and I assume that the server does not necessarily have security issues because of those issues, although please correct me if I am wrong!

I will post again when I’m able to work out specifically how to fix those issues. Thanks again!

Aug 30, 2015 6:30 AM in response to emu123

FWIW... If DNS is hosed, you'll likely have weird problems later on. Valid and functional DNS is the underpinnings of certificates, and certificates are the underpinning of distributed network authentication and encryption.

For a very quick diagnostic and verification of DNS, launch Terminal.app from Applications > Utilities and issue the following harmless diagnostic command:

sudo changeip -checkhostname

You'll have to enter your administrative password for the sudo, you may see a one-time message detailing the use of sudo, and you'll then usually see some network-related configuration banter, and finally either an indication that the configuration is valid and that no changes are required, or an indication that there are DNS or networking issues needing resolution and usually with a few details.

A successful invocation looks like this:

$ sudo changeip -checkhostname

Password:

Primary address = 203.0.113.12

Current HostName = yourhostname.example.net

DNS HostName = yourhostname.example.net

The names match. There is nothing to change.

dirserv:success = "success"

$

Your host name and IP address will vary.

Aug 30, 2015 4:28 PM in response to MrHoffman

Thanks for your help. When I enter the “change -checkhostname” command I get only the following reply:

dirserv:success = "success"

When setting up the sever, I had specified that it configure the DNS automatically when I added the host name. Actually I tried to reinstall the host name a few times, and each time I did that I cleared out the information in the “Records” part of the DNS section of the server to make the server reconfigure the DNS automatically. I notice that it also automatically added two entries into “System Preferences > Network > Ethernet > Advanced > DNS tab”.

When I look at the DNS section of the server now, under “Access > Status” it says “Set your network DNS settings to [ my static ip address is listed ]”.

I’m able to view the server hosting space URL just fine on the computers on the network, with the certificate not causing any error messages.

Apparently I should gain a better understanding of what is happening with the DNS, so I will do that soon, I have some good TCP/IP books that will be helpful.

Thanks again!

Aug 30, 2015 5:02 PM in response to emu123

If you don't get the full output similar to what was shown — it's not "change -checkhostname", BTW — then the command isn't working as I'd expect.

You're still focusing on what's known as the DNS resolver and what's visible via System Preferences > Network, and it's the DNS Server configuration that's available via Server.app that's key to OS X Server. The DNS resolver is familiar from OS X and Windows client computer configurations. Configuring and running a DNS server will be new.

The canonical source of DNS information is Cricket Liu's DNS and BIND book, which is in its fifth edition, when last I checked. This book explains in great detail — possibly too much, depending on your level of interest here — how DNS really works. (What I linked to earlier tries to be a little shorter.)

Aug 30, 2015 5:17 PM in response to MrHoffman

I have the O'Relly book "TCP/IP Network Administration," which I think should have some good information about DNS: http://www.amazon.com/TCP-Network-Administration-OReilly-Networking/dp/059600297 1/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1440979824&sr=8-4&keywords=tcp%2Fip

Thank you for the tip about the other book, I will definitely get that one if I can't get the info in the book that I have.

"Reachability" Box Giving Odd Information About URL

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.