Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I identify a wireless client?

I recently switched from a 1st generation TC to an Airport Express as router. I recognize eight of the nine clients listed on the wireless network. There is one whose name I can't reconcile. How do I identify the device that has that client name?

iMac late 2012, OS 10.10.5, Airport Utility 6.3.5

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 7:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 7:40 AM

How many wireless devices do you have? Are you remembering to count the printer, baby monitor, wireless thermostat, security system, other accessories, etc?

Open up AirPort Utility on your Mac

Hold down the option key while you double-click on the picture of the AirPort Express

Click on the small arrow next to each wireless client to reveal more information....IP address, MAC Address, etc..... about the device

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2015 7:40 AM in response to jackg8108

How many wireless devices do you have? Are you remembering to count the printer, baby monitor, wireless thermostat, security system, other accessories, etc?

Open up AirPort Utility on your Mac

Hold down the option key while you double-click on the picture of the AirPort Express

Click on the small arrow next to each wireless client to reveal more information....IP address, MAC Address, etc..... about the device

Aug 29, 2015 7:52 AM in response to jackg8108

If you have an iPad, try the App called IP Network Scanner. I have the "Lite" version, a freebe. It does a pretty good job and might help ID that client.

Also, in the Mac App Store you will find it under the name of IP Scanner. Also a free version is available but with a limitation that only 6 clients will be displayed (with the free version). Who knows, maybe the mystery client will be displayed amongst the first six.

I prefer the display on the iPad version.

Aug 29, 2015 8:06 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob, thanks for the response. I found the extra device after my earlier post. (It is a camera my wife set up.) That answers my question. By the way, your suggestion to double-click on the picture of the AirPort Express in AirPort Utility brings up a more useful view of the information I previously saw when clicking on the AirPort Express image, then the wireless client name in the image that pops up. Same info, but different looks. Thank you again.

how do I identify a wireless client?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.