Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HBO GO, no activation code appears

We have Comcast/XFINITY and HBO GO has been working fine using our Apple TV (Apple TV A1469, OS 7.2 (7512). We got kicked out this week and need to reactivate.

Following the directions, however on the Apple TV>HBO GO> Activate This Device, no Code appears

I have reset the Apple TV and Rebooted Cable Modem and Airport, still no activation code appears. The screen comes up and says use the code below, but no code.

AppleTV 2, Other OS, Apple TV A1469, OS 7.2 (7512)

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 5:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 6:59 PM

I ran into a first time user login issue that drove me nuts but finally figured out the link that is generated on the Apple TV screen when the activation code appears was wrong. I was going to HBOGO but the activation prompts did not start with the device to be activated, started with selecting the provider so there was no way to connect the two. Go here to active the devise: www.hbogo.com/activate

Then enter the activation code from Apple TV screen.

😝

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2015 6:59 PM in response to Sandy H

I ran into a first time user login issue that drove me nuts but finally figured out the link that is generated on the Apple TV screen when the activation code appears was wrong. I was going to HBOGO but the activation prompts did not start with the device to be activated, started with selecting the provider so there was no way to connect the two. Go here to active the devise: www.hbogo.com/activate

Then enter the activation code from Apple TV screen.

😝

Sep 18, 2015 4:02 AM in response to cmw_sf

I have the same problem. The issue is that when I fire up the HBO Go app, there is NO activation code that appears on the TV screen. The screen tells you to go to hobo.com/activate and enter the following code... (but there IS NO CODE on the screen). a

I'm using an apple TV 2. Xfinity Internet.

Any help would be appreciated as I love HBO and I like it better through the apple TV than other options.

Sep 18, 2015 7:38 AM in response to Lukeout

This is not a case of newbie or operator error.

I have had cases open with Comcast, Apple and HBO (now 2 cases). Apple and Comcast have had detailed phone support conversations and both believe this is an HBO problem and closed those tickets. Seems weird that there are not more sufferers. My Comcast>HBO GO account is fully functional, as I can Airplay HBO to my Apple TV. I have factory restored my Apple TV.

My Apple TV has no other glitches or quirks, all other acounts (Netflix, Hulu Plus) work as expected.

HBO has only sent automated responses when I open tickets and now weeks have passed with no response.

I signed a 2 yr with Comcast specifically to get HBO GO. Now with HBO Now, this is a bummer... one more yr to go.

Oct 11, 2015 4:12 PM in response to cmw_sf

I could get an activaton code but the url hbogo.com/activate would redirect me to xfinity, announcing I could now enjoy HBOGo, yet there was no screen to enter the code and pair apple tv.

*just a suggestion for those not able to get code: I recieived my code from apple tv using the hgbogo app on a *bluetooth* enabled iPad.

i decided to see if I could access the activation screen using my laptop and used the link embedded in this thread. it worked.

All the best. its been a freaking long day. This only solves a problem that eases the pain of the larger issue where I am recieving no channels and no VOD. Comcast is such a joy. A tech appountment has finally

been made.

Oct 14, 2015 3:23 PM in response to Sandy H

This is most likely an issue of screen resolution. The first step is to go to the Apple TV Settings -> Audio / Video -> TV Resolution -> Set to "Auto".

If that doesn't work your TV might not support a high enough resolution to display the activation code screen correctly. One solution is to connect a different monitor or TV that supports a higher resolution to the apple TV, obtain activation code and activate, and then reconnect the old TV.

Hope this helps. Problem was driving me crazy and I kept waiting for a software update that would fix it but finally became determined to find a solution and thought it through.

Dewar

Oct 14, 2015 3:34 PM in response to Chris Dewar

Yes, I @Chris Dewar, think this is the issue.

I've wondered about that as we have a fairly early model plasma tv, so probably not current with resolutions.

When this first started happening, II had gone to settings and tested every available resolution option, but is currently set to auto.

Other services that work in the same manner (Getting an activation code from the Apple TV and entering it on a website) have worked fine,

activation code is visible, I know I tested that on at least a couple other services.

On the HBO Go >Settings>Get Code Screen, however, the message that is visible is down in the lower left area of the screen.

Also, HBO has to date has never sent a single response other than an automated email to my ticket,

which I opened on August 31st. It is now October 14.

Dec 21, 2015 10:17 AM in response to Sandy H

I've bee dealing with this same problem of no code being offered since July 2015.

I was very enthusiastic about the idea that it may be the screen resolution that is the problem (to reveal a code somewhere off screen.) But NO. after playing with the setting on both the Apple TV (gen 2) and the TV itself... No code.

Like the rest who have had this issue, I've been in contact with all three players (Comcast, HBO, Apple) and have gotten nothing other then the conclusion that this an HBO issues. Who does no more then auto respond.

I would think Apple would take this seriously. Considering their typical stance on creators of third party apps for their IOS and OS. That a defective and unsupported app reflects on the experience of their product (Apple TV), and there is no tolerance for any third party products that interferes with the quality they aim to offer their users at great cost.

HBO GO, no activation code appears

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.