Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes on Yosemite does not open

I have been using iTunes without issue for as long as I can remember. Since getting my 2013 Mac Pro I have kept it open and on a separate desktop pretty consistently.

Suddenly about a week ago, when I tried to switch to the program, I got a black screen. I hit Cmd+Alt+Esc and it said it was not responding, so I Force Quit. But now whenever I try to start it, the desktop turns black and nothing happens for several minutes. When I switch back to my main desktop and try to use the mini-player, nothing responds and the only way to close it is via Force Quit. I have tried rebooting the computer and downloading a new version from Apple but I'm still getting the same results. Help!

Mac Pro (Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 10:13 AM

4 replies

Aug 30, 2015 10:27 AM in response to goji1986

Hey there goji1986,

If I understand correctly, iTunes recently began to have an issue that's preventing it from starting as expected on your Mac Pro. If you haven't already, try opening iTunes in Safe Mode and testing without any third-party plug-ins as shown in the article below.

iTunes: Troubleshooting issues with third-party iTunes plug-ins - Apple Support

Cheers.

Aug 30, 2015 1:24 PM in response to goji1986

I am also have the same issue. My screen goes black and then I get this pop-up box but I can't enter anything in the Password box and I can't cancel. I have to do a forced quit. I am able to access my music on my iPhone and iPad but not my late 2013 iMac running OS X 10.5.5 I have reinstalled both iTunes and OS X and I still get the same error. I think Apple has a bug that they need to fix.

User uploaded file

iTunes on Yosemite does not open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.