Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB drive seen in System Information dialog but not in Finder

I’m running Yosemite, and it doesn’t recognize any USB devices. It shows in the hardware section of the system information dialog (about my mac > system information > hardware > usb) but not in the Finder.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 10:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2015 1:44 PM

If a device doesn’t have any accessible storage or is an iOS device, it’s working as intended.

Otherwise, choose Utilities from the Finder’s Go menu, open the Disk Utility, and see if it appears there.

If it appears in black, check the settings in the General and Sidebar tabs of the Finder’s preferences.

If it appears in gray, use the Mount or Repair Disk function on it.

If it doesn’t appear, it’s either dead or not properly connected.

(132537)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2015 1:44 PM in response to SyedKazim

If a device doesn’t have any accessible storage or is an iOS device, it’s working as intended.

Otherwise, choose Utilities from the Finder’s Go menu, open the Disk Utility, and see if it appears there.

If it appears in black, check the settings in the General and Sidebar tabs of the Finder’s preferences.

If it appears in gray, use the Mount or Repair Disk function on it.

If it doesn’t appear, it’s either dead or not properly connected.

(132537)

Sep 5, 2015 1:46 PM in response to Niel

Following the above steps showed me that the USB drive was formatted as FAT32, which is why I think it did not show up in Finder. The option to repair or verify the disk was also unavailable. I just wanted to be able to copy and paste all the contents of the drive onto my computer, and then reformat it to a Mac-friendly version.

Any chance that is possible?

Thanks a lot, Niel, for your help 🙂

USB drive seen in System Information dialog but not in Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.