Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring photos from iPhoto and Photos to Lightroom

I had all my photos in iPhoto and then when Photos came along some of them, but not all, were transferred (or copied?) to the new Photos library. the reason given for not all going over seemed to be that i didn't have enough iCloud storage space. Anyway in future I'm wanting to use Lightroom to handle and edit all my photos because of all its features. An important one of these is that I'm told that it doesn't keep the original versions of photos that have been edited in Lightroom as iPhoto does, instead holding an XML file of all the changes that have been made so that you can go back to any earlier version, saving a lot of space.

What I want to do now it to transfer all of my photos from the iPhoto and Photos libraries into a new one I'm going to hold on an external hard drive. Where a photo has been edited in iPhoto I just want to take the latest version and delete all earlier versions. How best can I achieve this?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), MacBook Pro. iPhone 6, iPad Air 2

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 7:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 7:25 AM

You've been misinformed about Lightroom. It certainly does preserve the Original. I'll be blunt: there are many excellent reasons to migrate to LR. It's a very capable pro-level app, but saving disk space is not one of them.

There is no way to "transfer" images from iPhoto or Photos to LR. You have two possibilities:

1. The latest version of LR has an option to import iPhoto and Aperture Libraries. See the Adobe website for more

2. You can export your Photos from iPhoto / Photos to folders in the Finder. What happens thereafter is up to you.

This User Tip

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4921

has details of the options in the Export dialogue.

32 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2015 7:25 AM in response to RobbieSnr

You've been misinformed about Lightroom. It certainly does preserve the Original. I'll be blunt: there are many excellent reasons to migrate to LR. It's a very capable pro-level app, but saving disk space is not one of them.

There is no way to "transfer" images from iPhoto or Photos to LR. You have two possibilities:

1. The latest version of LR has an option to import iPhoto and Aperture Libraries. See the Adobe website for more

2. You can export your Photos from iPhoto / Photos to folders in the Finder. What happens thereafter is up to you.

This User Tip

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4921

has details of the options in the Export dialogue.

Aug 29, 2015 7:29 AM in response to RobbieSnr

In Photos select the photos you want to "transfer", then from the File menu choose one of the Export commands. Move them where you want, then in Lightroom select the IMPORT button, point to the location where the exported photos are, select if you want them all or just new ones, and then click the IMPORT button (now moved to the right side).

Sep 3, 2015 7:00 PM in response to RobbieSnr

Although you didn't want to go into the why, but I understand your decision. 😟 I love the features of iPhoto and have been using for over 12 years. Photos right now is too immature and is very slow for my 36,000+ photos unless I buy a new Mac with large SSD. I've invested so much tagging faces and location, I am not quite ready to abandon it yet. I was just about to go to Aperture just before it was announced to be discontinued. I am going to hopefully wait a few years for Photos to mature, if not I don't know if I would go to Lightroom. The #1 reason I have a Mac was for iPhotos/Aperture and iMovie/Final Cut. If they do the same with iMovie/Final Cut, we lost the main drive for Macs😟

Sep 4, 2015 3:19 PM in response to Lexiepex

I plan to stay with it as long as possible. Ultimately, it won't be supported: no updates for new raw cameras, it won't be available on App Store to install on new computers, and / or it won't install or run on new OS.

Also, I wouldn't say perfect. I am having problems with video thumbnails, it's corrupt and rebuilding it has not worke. But it's a **** a lot better than Photos.

Sep 5, 2015 9:20 AM in response to Lexiepex

Hmm.. My MacPro from 2008 is still on 10.9 so I stopped getting Cameraraw updates. My other machines on Yosemite/ElCapitan does and runs iPhoto fine. My MacPro is our main, important machine with constantly growing drives. (The power to update the machine has really prolonged the life of that machine.) There has been no advantage on that old machine upto now to be updated. I think its time to evaluate updating it. I did remember one of my programs did not run on ElCapitan public beta.

This tread is drifting away from the original poster. I should go to the Aperture group to see the general consensus since iPhoto is discontinued, whether it would pay for me to use Aperture. It seems to be able to work concurrently with iPhoto to some degree. I wish Photos did. I was just about to go over to it when it was discontinued. I strangely do own it.

Sep 6, 2015 3:15 PM in response to a1chang

I'm coming to the conclusion too that I should just stay with iPhoto to hold my photos but I'd like to be able to use a more advanced photo editor and Lightroom seems to fit the bill. In iPhoto you have the option of using an external editor in place of the inbuilt one, a feature which doesn't appear to be available in Photos. I've found that I can set the external editor in iPhoto to point to Lightroom and I've been able to edit a selected photo there.

The problem I'm now having is to get it back into the iPhoto library - it doesn't go back there directly. You can change the export options to send the edited photo back to the same folder that the photo came from, adding a sequence number to the photo's filename. I've done this and although I can see the edited photo in the Previews folder in the iPhoto library it's not showing up in the photos that appear in iPhoto. One solution would be to export the edited photo to a file on the desktop, say, and then import the photo into iPhoto but it would be better if I could get Lightroom to do this directly.

Sep 6, 2015 9:55 PM in response to RobbieSnr

I haven't looked at LR for a while, but we use iPhoto for quick non-destructive edits. Real complex edits, I use Photoshop. When Photoshop updates the photo in the same directory, and the file date changes, iPhoto then updates the database. I believe LR is basically another non-destructive editor. You have to overwrite the original (copy) file to get iPhoto to know there's an update.

Sep 6, 2015 11:50 PM in response to RobbieSnr

Robbie, LTR is super. BUT Adobe is now going for the cloud too: the LTR6.1 Standalone (which I have) is probably an end version, they want everybody in the subscription model (brings in a lot more money). Even the Dehaze filter is now "demonstratively" only for the subscription model. Luckily there are a lot of user filters that you can use.

I have looked for an alternative but iPhoto and Aperture support is stopped, I have difficulty to get used to Gimp.

Bridge+Elements may stay standalone, but it is a degradeation from LTR.

Sad,

Lex

Sep 7, 2015 11:46 AM in response to Lexiepex

Lex, I bought the 6.0 standalone version of LTR recently and the Adobe website did seem to suggest that there would be upgrades in the future for which I would have to pay a reduced fee so I thought that they were going to continue to have this version available.

I downloaded the app for iOS but it does seem that syncing from that is only available for a trial period of 30 days and that I would have to subscribe to the CC version if I wanted this to continue.

Eric.

Transferring photos from iPhoto and Photos to Lightroom

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.