Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Generating Keychain passwords

I'm trying to change all my passwords for all the websites I'm using and can't get it to work.

I have a Macbook Pro and an Iphone, Keychain is activated on both and linked. All software is up to date, latest versions.

I'm trying to do this from my Mac, not from my Iphone.

I understand that Safari is supposed to suggest a password every time the cursor is in a password field. This never happens. I'm using sites like Gmail, Facebook, Flickr, Amazon, etc.

I have autofill passwords activated, without them being saved in Safari, so I'm automatically logged in on every website. I'm trying to change my passwords one by one but Safari is not suggesting new passwords. I deleted all passwords from Safari > Preferences > Passwords but I'm still logged in automatically.

I deleted all logins from Keychain Access but still get logged in automatically on every website.

Can anyone help? What am I doing wrong?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 9:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 11:15 AM

If all of your passwords are gone and you're still getting passwords, then iCloud Keychain has lost its marbles, or you're getting copies of the passwords from another device. I'll assume iCloud hasn't lost its marbles here, so...

Use the change-password dialog web pages at each of the web sites of interest, and select your new password there. If Safari doesn't detect the password change sequence and offer to change the saved password when you use the site password-change sequence, then — when you next access the site and you're at the login box — select the old (wrong) password (that's been pre-populated into the login password field, and enter the new one in the box. You'll be offered a sheet asking if you want to save the change here, too. Save the change.

If iCloud has lost its marbles, then you'll end up shutting off that part of iCloud (on all devices), and then re-enabling and re-populating it from your preferred source. Note that this can result in all saved passwords being lost, so you will want to have a saved list somewhere (written down, old backups, somewhere), or you'll be visiting the password-reset sequences everywhere.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2015 11:15 AM in response to daciang

If all of your passwords are gone and you're still getting passwords, then iCloud Keychain has lost its marbles, or you're getting copies of the passwords from another device. I'll assume iCloud hasn't lost its marbles here, so...

Use the change-password dialog web pages at each of the web sites of interest, and select your new password there. If Safari doesn't detect the password change sequence and offer to change the saved password when you use the site password-change sequence, then — when you next access the site and you're at the login box — select the old (wrong) password (that's been pre-populated into the login password field, and enter the new one in the box. You'll be offered a sheet asking if you want to save the change here, too. Save the change.

If iCloud has lost its marbles, then you'll end up shutting off that part of iCloud (on all devices), and then re-enabling and re-populating it from your preferred source. Note that this can result in all saved passwords being lost, so you will want to have a saved list somewhere (written down, old backups, somewhere), or you'll be visiting the password-reset sequences everywhere.

Generating Keychain passwords

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.