Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use the same external hard disk for both Photos library and TimeMachine?

I just got a MacBook Pro and want to transfer my iPhoto library from my old Mac to my new one. I know it won't fit on the MacBook so I'm planning on using an external hard drive for the Photos library. Can I use the same external hard drive for my Time Machine backups and for my Photos library?

Thanks.

Lisa

Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 8:43 AM

6 replies

Aug 29, 2015 8:46 AM in response to lisamc12

You can, but you will have to make a second partition on your external drive in order to save backups there. Time Machine needs a whole partition to store backups, and any different file on that partition may damage it.

To make a second partition, you have to use Disk Utility (in /Applications/Utilities). After opening it, choose the external drive in the sidebar, go to the Partitions tab and create a second partition formatted in "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". Then, go to System Preferences -> Time Machine, and set up Time Machine.

I recommend you to give as much space as possible to the Time Machine partition, so you can store more backups. Moreover, you should get a second external drive only to store backups, but it is up to you.

Can I use the same external hard disk for both Photos library and TimeMachine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.