Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cant sign into icloud,to turn off find my iphone "cant find account"

my iPhone needs to be unlocked from "find my iPhone",

the email account which was used originally has now been closed by TISCALI,

the old email address is still in the phone but I cannot remember the password.

apple search for my apple id I used says it cannot find an I D TO MATCH INFO GIVEN.

PLEASE HELP

iPhone 4, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 8:38 AM

8 replies

Aug 29, 2015 8:46 AM in response to isabelfromcolchester

It doesn't matter what the service provider does with your email address, if that email address was used to set up an Apple ID, then it will still be the Apple ID....

Possibly you changed your Apple ID from that old email address to the one you are using now by going to Find My Apple ID, and EDITing your old ID to the new one? If that is the case, then follow these instructions to get it turned off:

1. Go to Manage your Apple ID, sign in with your current Apple ID and password, and EDIT your current Apple ID to the old one. This is temporary. Do NOT attempt to verify it, do NOT change the password

2. Go to Settings>iCloud on your phone, scroll to the bottom, and sign out of the iCloud account. Type in your current password when prompted

3. Go back to Manage your Apple ID and sign in with the old ID and the current password, and EDIT the old ID back to your current Apple ID. You may have to verify it again

4. Go back to Settings>iCloud and sign in with your current ID if you want it signed back onto iCloud with Find My iPhone turned on.

Cheers,

GB

Feb 10, 2016 1:21 PM in response to gail from maine

Hi Gail

i have same problem...defunct email address, no longer have access to it. i refer to your point as follows

1. Go to Manage your Apple ID, sign in with your current Apple ID and password, and EDIT your current Apple ID to the old one. This is temporary. Do NOT attempt to verify it, do NOT change the password

My problem is this-when i change to my old email, it automatically sends an email to this, and then requests the code to be put in the little boxex/cells, which i obviously do not have. I have not attempted to Verify, as there is no facility for this to happen anyway.

Can you advise further to what i can do, as i am getting very p.. Off with Apple, when this should be a very simple fix. Thanks in advance

Feb 10, 2016 10:53 PM in response to gail from maine

Hi Gail, thanks for quick response...I will give you all the details I have!!

old email address shows up in settings/icloud (both on my ipad and apple phone). When I try to turn off 'find my ipad', i get response 'enter the Apple ID password for xx@xxx.com.au to turn off find ipad (which is the old/defunct problem email and is now dead).If I use my current password, it fails.

I am able to sign into Apple website and also icloud.com using my current email and current password. There is no reference to the old email in either accounts.

Also if I go to the website 'iforgot.apple.com', and I enter the old defunct email, I get the following response 'xx@xx.com.au is not an Apple ID'...!!!!

As I said above, I did try to change my current email in my Apple account to the old defunct one, but it automatically sends an email to that defunct address with a code to be used to verify/ in my apple account, only then will it allow the change....not much good to me though.

Look forward to your response as I am getting very frustrated with this,

P.S. I am in australia, so we have a bi time difference (assuming you are in USA), many thanks John

Feb 11, 2016 5:41 AM in response to ironsheikh51

According to the most recent postings on this issue, you only need to type in your current Apple ID password to turn off Find My iPhone if you simply changed that old Apple ID to the new email address (as opposed to setting up a totally different, brand new Apple ID).

So, if it is still the same Apple account but just a different email address, you should be able to use your current email address to remove the old version from Find My iPhone and iCloud.

Cheers,

GB

Feb 13, 2016 10:46 PM in response to gail from maine

Hi Gail, thanks.......this is the most bizarre situation because all along I have being doing what you said, and have had to change my p/word three times due to being locked out....suddenly today, I use my current password and it has allows me to switch off 'find my iphone'....crazy....regards thanks John

T247 note ...the truth is out there....keep trying as i have done

cant sign into icloud,to turn off find my iphone "cant find account"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.