Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Membership is inactive?

I bought an album on iTunes, and when I try to play any song from that album an alert pops up that says "While your membership is inactive, your music and playlists will remain in your library, but can't be played. You can remove them in the Settings app." This happens when I'm online and offline. I also haven't started my free trial on Apple Music, so I do not understand. Please help!

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 9:07 AM

18 replies

Aug 30, 2015 9:18 AM in response to sarahblisss

Hi sarahblisss,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that you have downloaded an album from iTunes, but when you try to play it you receive an alert that you must be signed into Apple Music to access it. From your original question, it sounds like you are already signed into Apple Music and are still unable to listen to that album.

To begin troubleshooting, I would suggest disabling Apple Music and iCloud Music Library. After disabling, sign back into the services as described in the attached article below.

I am uncertain if this issue is happening on an iOS device or iTunes on your computer, but the following article does explain how to sign in and set up Apple Music and iCloud Music Library on either an iOS device or computer. Please test playing that album after you are signed back in and your library is active.

Check your Apple Music library settings - Apple Support

Best regards

Aug 31, 2015 6:29 AM in response to sarahblisss

I'm having a similar issue. Some of my songs won't play with the warning that my membership is inactive (I'm logged on) and indicate the song can't be played. There's only a few songs on my playlist where this is an issue. I don't have the problem on my ipad but I haven't updated the ipad's ISO, which I did on my iphone to IOS 8.4.1

I've checked the web and haven't found a solution that works. My main computer is a PC and I had heard that Apple's software and support is far superior but I'm beginning to wonder. I hope the Apple Support team can find a solution very soon!

Sep 1, 2015 12:07 AM in response to Mac@FLOW

Im also having she same Issue. I can't even find iCloud music feature that's suggested on my phone. This issue only started after the software on my PC wss updated. I DO NOT want to pay to listen to music that I've purchased. I do not want to subscribe to a music program that I will never use. I just want to download music ala carte as I see fit. Please provide a solution ASAP.

Sep 1, 2015 6:11 PM in response to Paguilar1

I Think I fixed mine. Try this. Go into the song that won't play and delete it. Then go into my the iTunes Store then click on more at the bottom right side, then choose purchased. Find the album that the song was deleted from and hit download all in the upper right hand side. That should restore the song or songs. My suggestion would be not to delete the entire album unless your ok with using your PC to restore your music (if it's only one song from an artist you may have to use your PC to re download). I was only having this issue with s couple of songs in my library. Let me know if this works! I hope it does!!

Membership is inactive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.