Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to use a laptop as a hard drive

Hi,

I was recently at a one-on-one session and switched my pictures from my old apple laptop to my new iMac. My laptop is old, but I was told that I can still use it as a hard drive by pressing the letter "t" at startup which puts it in target mode. I also need a firewire with an adapter to transfer items to my iMac. I recently purchased software that requires you use a disc for installation with a DVD drive. I do not have a disk drive on my iMac. Can I use the laptop's driver and the laptop as a hard drive and load that software on my iMac. If so, how?

Thanks!

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 10:41 AM

3 replies

Aug 29, 2015 10:47 AM in response to kacystamps

Target disk mode is for use of the hard drive on the second machine so you need to place the CD/DVD contents in a folder on the hard drive first.

Another option is to connect the two Macs using a standard Ethernet wire, that networks the two, and you can open the old machine and have the optical drive appear on the desktop of the new machine.

how to use a laptop as a hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.