Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I use Frontier DSL and want to extend my range. When I hooked it up, the light blinks. I reset and it still happens. Do I need to disable the Frontier Modem in order to get the Airport to work? How do I have the Airport talk to my provider?

I use Frontier as my DSL provider in a remote area of North Carolina. I hooked up an Airport Extreme but the light blinks. Do I need to disable the WiFi modem to allow the Airport to work? I followed the instructions in the setup guide, but the light still blinks yellow.

Airport Extreme 802.11ac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 11:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 11:51 AM

In order to use an AirPort Extreme to extend the signal from the Frontier modem/router, the Extreme must be located in the remote area where more signal is needed, and then an Ethernet cable.....which must remain permanently in place.....must connect from the AirPort Extreme back to the Frontier modem/router......just as the instructions in the AirPort Extreme Setup Guide illustrate.

User uploaded file

If you were hoping to have the AirPort Extreme connect to the Frontier modem/router wirelessly, it would not be compatible with a Frontier product for that purpose....since the AirPort Extreme can only do this wirelessly if it connects to another Apple wireless router.

Please clarify how you are trying to set things up.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2015 11:51 AM in response to teresafrombristol

In order to use an AirPort Extreme to extend the signal from the Frontier modem/router, the Extreme must be located in the remote area where more signal is needed, and then an Ethernet cable.....which must remain permanently in place.....must connect from the AirPort Extreme back to the Frontier modem/router......just as the instructions in the AirPort Extreme Setup Guide illustrate.

User uploaded file

If you were hoping to have the AirPort Extreme connect to the Frontier modem/router wirelessly, it would not be compatible with a Frontier product for that purpose....since the AirPort Extreme can only do this wirelessly if it connects to another Apple wireless router.

Please clarify how you are trying to set things up.

Aug 29, 2015 12:20 PM in response to teresafrombristol

I did nothing except hook the ethernet cable between a port on the back of the modem to the Airport extreme, thinking I would get a boost.

Even if the AirPort Extreme is set up correctly, there will be no "boost" to the network unless the AirPort Extreme is located at least a few rooms away from the Frontier modem/router. No "boost" will occur at all if the AirPort Extreme is in the same room or close proximity to the Frontier modem/router.

Check to make sure that the Ethernet cable.....which must remain permanently connected.....runs from a LAN <--> Ethernet port to the WAN "O" port on the AirPort Extreme.

If you want the AirPort Extreme to "extend" the signal from the Frontier modem/router, the AirPort must be configured to create a wireless network uses the same wireless network name and same wireless password as the Frontier modem/router.

Likely, you will need to reset the AirPort Extreme back to factory default settings, then start over again with the setup.

Make sure that the Ethernet cable then connects as mentioned above.

On your Mac, click the WiFi icon at the top of the screen, then click on AirPort Extreme under the heading of New AirPort Base Station.

User uploaded file

When you click on AirPort Extreme, that will get the setup "wizard" running. The setup screen will look like this, except that you will see a picture of the AirPort Extreme on your computer:

User uploaded file

Network Name..........Enter the name of the wireless network that the Frontier modem/router is using

Base Station..............Assign a device name that you want to call the AirPort Extreme. Mine is Extreme, for example

Password..................Enter the wireless network password that the Frontier wireless is using

Verify..........................Confirm the password again

Click Next

The setup "wizard" will configure everything for you, and you will have a green light on the AirPort in about a minute.

I use Frontier DSL and want to extend my range. When I hooked it up, the light blinks. I reset and it still happens. Do I need to disable the Frontier Modem in order to get the Airport to work? How do I have the Airport talk to my provider?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.