Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family sharing: What do you do if you have more than 6 people in your family?

I have 5 kids plus my husband and myself. How do I add one more family member to family sharing? Also I can not share my calendar with my mother, which I was able to do before family sharing by inviting her. Family Sharing is not helping manage my calendar with my large family. It is important to be able to share my calendar with my parents so that they can help drive my carpools. Apple please help people with large families.

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 10:13 AM

4 replies

Oct 28, 2015 2:12 PM in response to XForce

I'm running into this issue now as well - 2 parents, 6 kids with 1 more on the way next year. The four oldest have iPhones and we are set up with family share. Tried to add my 5 year old daughter so she could have an Apple ID to use on a spare iPhone. Discovered I need to kick one kids out of the family share. While I could probably kick out the oldest because she's off at college, I don't really want to do that until she graduates and is off on her own in 4 years.

Those of us with large families need to make our voices heard in the hopes that Apple would implement some sort of override to the family size IF they verified the family size somehow.

Dec 14, 2015 1:26 PM in response to XForce

I spoke with tech support. 6 family members is the max. I have 7.

My feature request is that Apple offer 2 tiers of sharing... a household tier and then a media tier. The media sharing is probably what caused them to make a 6 user max in their family sharing plan. There is a cost to media they have to limit.

However I want to use the family sharing to find phones, find friends (kids), share apps, manage billing for my kids, share calendars, share photos, share icloud... All of these things should not have a 6 person limit. Apple should want us in their ecosystem and our kids too. If we decide to buy movies or music we should pay a higher fee... a good comparison is netflix has a 2 screen simultaneous limit on their $7.99 offering... with a big family I upgraded to their $11.99 offering for 4 devices to watch at once.

Apple should allow 10 or even 20 users in a 'family management' plan that's free... to get us into their ecosystem...

Then they should sell 'media sharing' packages of 5 users in those plans. I then get free 'family management' for the non media stuff.. and I buy 'media share' licenses in packs of 5 for say $10/month. That would keep me buying apple devices and using their ecosystem.

Now i have to go look at office365 and google as an alternative for everything and I still have an app issue where one of my family members (aka wife) will be buying her own apps.

Family sharing: What do you do if you have more than 6 people in your family?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.