Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with MBP Retina when using a separate name for 5GHz network

Recently purchased new MBP Retina 13" (10.10.5 - CTO option - 3.1GHz i7, 16Gb RAM, 512Gb storage), which has shown a number of WiFi related problems. Initially odd instances of dropping connection, sometimes with WiFi greyed out in the menu bar, sometimes not. (When this was happening, a MacBook on the same desk was fine.)

Then I found the machine just froze - mostly unable to get beyond the accounts screen, with trackpad clicks not having any effect. On the odd occasion I managed to get to the password entry panel, there was no input from the keyboard. (External wired mouse or keyboard did not resolve in either case.) A call to the support line suggested that there was a hardware fault, but that wasn't confirmed when I took it to the store Genius Bar. The Genius got it all sorted again (PRAM reset) - and then the problem recurred immediately when I got the machine home and back on my own network.....

Now been through a long process of elimination and found that the problem clears if I switch off the '5GHz Network Name' selection on the base station. Previous advice received has been to show the two elements of the network separately - and the problem seems to be unique to this particular MBP.

I can't see any other reference on the web to others having this issue - so, whilst I'm relieved that the problem is resolved for the time being (fingers crossed), I am also slightly concerned that there is an underlying issue with the MBP that I'm simply masking by this change of setting.

Any thoughts anybody?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), CTO Options as in the post

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 8:51 AM

1 reply

Problems with MBP Retina when using a separate name for 5GHz network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.