Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get two computers to network and share the same data? THey are both backing up but the data on one is different for the other.

How do i get two computers to network?

They are both on my time capsule, but when I log into one computer the

info I typed on the other computer is not there (example, using quickbooks).

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 12:24 PM

4 replies

Aug 29, 2015 2:44 PM in response to tmf0379

tmf0379 wrote:

How do i get two computers to network?

They are both on my time capsule, but when I log into one computer the

info I typed on the other computer is not there (example, using quickbooks).

I think you are confusing what the Time Capsule does.

It is for backing up your computers.. they are otherwise still completely isolated from each other.

You cannot share backups..

The setup you want is to use a common server.. so the file for QB is held on the server.. each computer therefore opens the file and can make changes to the database .. this however must be handled correctly.. ie the software must be server type application that allows multiple users.. or it should lock out more than one user at a time..

I would not recommend using the TC as a file server.. especially when you want to use it for active files like your QB.. one day you will get yourself into trouble.. and the TC cannot back itself up .. nor can Time Machine backup network drives.. and using a package like QB for a business with backups would be the height of foolishness.

There is as Kappy suggests software to synchronise files across computers. I am not sure that even that would be a good idea.. for a business get in some computer support person who knows what they are doing to set this up correctly for you.

How do I get two computers to network and share the same data? THey are both backing up but the data on one is different for the other.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.