Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I wish to back up my photos

I sync my iPad on to iTunes. I have signed up to iCloud on my PC. I wish to access all my photos from either my iPad or my PC via iCloud, but if I enable iCloud photo sharing on my iPad, I am warned that photos synced from iTunes will be removed. I don't want to lose any photos. What should I do? Is there a risk that I will lose some photos?

iPad Mini, iOS 8.4, also iCloud on PC and Family member

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 10:24 AM

2 replies

Aug 29, 2015 10:32 AM in response to Cherry152b

Are you sure you are not referring to iCloud Photo Library? If that is what you are referring to, then what you are indicating to the systems is that you want all of your photos to be housed in iCloud, and all of those photos will be accessible from either your iPad or from iCloud.com/Photos. That is why it would "remove" photos sync'd from iTunes. Because once iCloud Photo Library is turned on, your iPad will diaplay all of your photos:

iCloud Photo Library FAQ - Apple Support

iCloud Photo Library Help - Apple Support

Cheers,

GB

Aug 29, 2015 11:22 AM in response to gail from maine

I think Apple needs to rethink the icloud backup. I signed up for 200GB of space and while it was loading my photo library, it removed around 4k photos from my local machine and used up any local remaining disk space. Further backups to the icloud were stopped because there wasn't any space on my hard drive, which is why I signed up for the icloud in the first place. If I want my icloud photos back, I now have to go into iCloud and manually select every photo just to get it back and it downloads to my download folder. icloud is no good if it alters my local machine library. If I am doing something wrong, please feel free to flame me but altering hundreds of events on my local mac wasn't what I wanted.

I wish to back up my photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.