Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using a number 08 file on a number 09 install

I have a Mac and an old Macbook Pro with Numbers '08 and a newer macbook pro running Numbers '09. When I try to send spreadsheets between the two I can't open them on the newer version. I have tried running Update 9.3 but that only seems to want to look at Keynote issues.

I could spend $25 downloading numbers 09 on my other machine(s) but then how will that version of Numbers '09 be any better able to open the Number '08 version of the spreadsheet?

This is SO un-Apple like it is driving me crazy. Why is a simple upgrade so difficult?

MacBook Pro, Running Yosemite on all machines.

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 10:57 AM

3 replies

Aug 29, 2015 1:34 PM in response to Rupertfromrichmond

Hi Rupert,

Are you sure you are running Numbers '09 (v.2.3)? The latest version of Numbers is 3.5.3. Numbers 3 cannot open '08 files (v. 1.x).

I suspect that you do not have '09 or else are not actually using it.

Here are the icons for 3.5 (above) and '09 (below). I believe that the '09 and '08 icons are the same.

User uploaded file

The icon for 3.2 had 4 bars but was oriented like the '09 icon.

Once we konw for sure what versions you have we will be able to sort this for you.

quinn

Aug 30, 2015 3:46 PM in response to t quinn

Thanks for trying to help out. I have 9.5.3 on this machine. How can they release something that cannot open a previous version?

I have tried to export to Excel and then import to Number 09 but that puts every table in a separate sheet. The beauty of what I am using this spreadsheet for was the ability to have so many tables on one sheet so that you can see everything spread out in front of you. Putting every table in a new sheet is crap.

Using a number 08 file on a number 09 install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.