Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts and Calendar: what to upload to cloud for safe preservation?

I am in the process of uploading various important files and folders from my hard disk to Google Drive. What folders that contain my contacts (from the Contacts application) and my appointments, birthdays, etc. (from the Calendar application) should I upload for safe keeping, and where can I find them on my computer's hard disk?

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), null

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 11:56 AM

26 replies

Aug 29, 2015 12:45 PM in response to Csound1

I'm afraid I don't understand the distinction that you are making, Csound1.

I am using Google Drive because the available free storage on iCloud is insufficient for me. Moreover, I believe that the new iCloud does not work with Mountain Lion.

I am uploading my correspondence, my domestic accounts, the typescripts of the papers and articles I have written, the scores of my musical compositions, my photographs. If my hard drive were to fail, I can download these again onto a repaired or new computer. This is what I understand by a backup system.

I may wish to change or add to some of these. For instance, my accounts for August, 2015, may have to be changed if I purchase something tomorrow, or someone pays me for some work. Or a new article or a letter to my bank manager may be added to the relevant folder on my computer. If that happens, I hope that the change will in due course be reflected in what is stored in Google Drive on the Web. That is, presumably, what you mean by a synchronous system, but I would describe as a dynamic function of a good backup system.

What I am asking about is: how do I arrange that the current states of my Contacts and Calendar are similarly stored in Google Drive on the Net and can similarly be updated. For example, I might be able to upload the internal backups (on my computer) of Contacts and Calendar.

Aug 29, 2015 1:01 PM in response to Michael Graubart

In simple terms a synchronous drive requires the same space on your Mac as it requires on the online drive, you won't save any space on your Mac. Plus as the drive is synchronous if you make an error and delete something you need it will also have been deleted from the online storage, so it is in no way a backup either.

if you want an online backup try iDrive

Aug 29, 2015 1:08 PM in response to Csound1

I am not trying to save space. And the behaviour you describe is precisely what I want: I want the latest state of any file or folder to be stored and retrievable.

I shall have a look at iDrive. But in the meantime I should still like to know how I can similarly store and retrieve the latest state of the data from Calendar and Contacts.

Aug 29, 2015 1:25 PM in response to Csound1

Csound 1, enjoy your bruschetta. I, too, am about to go down to the kitchen to find something to eat, and then soon to sleep, since it is late in the evening here. But do you really want to go round the circle again? I have already explained why I am not using iCloud.

If you can answer my question about Calendar and Contacts, I should be grateful.

I have looked at iDrive, but it only gives 5GB of free space as compared with 15 GB with Google Drive, and I do not understand how it in essentials differs from the latter, or from DropBox, etc.

Aug 29, 2015 1:34 PM in response to Michael Graubart

PS: In System requirements for iCloud - Apple Support, I see:

System requirements for iCloud

• OS X Yosemite v10.10.3
  • iTunes 12 or later
  • Safari 8 or later, Firefox 22 or later, or Google Chrome 28 or later
  • iWork for Mac (Pages 5.5 or later, Numbers 3.5 or later, Keynote 6.5 or later)1

Apart from iTunes 12.2.2 and Firefox 40.0.2, I have none of these.

Aug 30, 2015 11:25 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks very much, Eric Root. Very useful information. I have found the data from Calendar in my user library as you say.

After a little research, I found that the data from Contacts are stored in Application Support under the old name of Address Book.

I take the point about backup and synchronous systems, but it seems to me that Google Drive behaves in the way that I want.

Contacts and Calendar: what to upload to cloud for safe preservation?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.