Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Opinions needed: 3rd Party Replaceable Battery 17" Macbook Pro

My Apple branded replaceable battery is having problems again, in the time I have owned this machine, since 2008, I have received 4 batteries that failed to meet warranty. This last one being one of them, they've never been quite what was advertised but I need them.

Yesterday I was informed that Apple is no longer making them, so now I am out in the 3rd party market. Never been there before. I have done some reading but I wanted to drop into the Brain Trust (Apple Forums) and check out some opinions before I go for it.

I have narrowed the search to to a replaceable battery made Anker and sold through Amazon. The reviews are mixed but nearly 60% positive. Considering the battery is about half the prices of Apple with an 18 month warranty, also makes it attractive.

Anker® New Laptop Battery for Apple Macbook pro 17-Inch series A1189 A1151 Aluminum Body - 18 Months Warranty

Does anyone have a better experience with another company? Or, a terrible experiewnce with Anker?

I am more about trustworthy company and product than price. Batteries can be dangerous.

Thank You.

MacBook Pro (17-inch 2.4 GHz), Mac OS X (10.6.8), 4 GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 11:12 AM

4 replies

Aug 29, 2015 12:03 PM in response to Garrett Cobarr

I recently purchased two batteries for two of my older MBPs from OWC and they seem to be performing well. OWC has a good reputation with many Mac users on these forums:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Apple/Laptop/Batteries

A colleague of mine on these forums whose opinions I respect endorses Anker batteries.

Any other battery I would treat with suspicion, especially from ebay. All vendors of counterfeit batteries will tell you they are genuine.

To my knowledge Apple has not permitted non Apple sellers to sell their batteries. Since Apple insists on installing replacement batteries by their own technicians, I do not expect that to change.

Ciao.

Opinions needed: 3rd Party Replaceable Battery 17" Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.