Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari showing older web pages

I use Snow Leopard and run Safari 5.1.10 and I'm having a very new issue with constantly having to empty my cache just in the last week. I started to notice on sites (such as forums) or places like Discogs where you construct your own home page using modules (and update every few minutes) that I was seeing old web pages. For example in one of my modules on Discogs there are recent group posts and the time they post (i.e a minute ago, an hour ago). Now whenever I visit the page unless I empty the cache I'm seeing old posts. Once emptied, I see new material. Same thign with other websites. Is this a recent issue with older Safari versions? And before everyone chimes in NO I DO NOT want to update to memory sucking Yosemite.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 4:18 PM

8 replies

Aug 30, 2015 8:33 AM in response to Eric Root

Hi yes I do use the latest Firefox when I get to a website that absolutely refuses to comply with my browser but NO I don't like third party apps. They only response can't just be upgrade or use a different browser. Guess I came to wrong place for help.

I can upgrade easily I have 8GB of RAM but will continue to refuse until Apple makes an actual OS X that is not bloated with viewing the world as a mobile app and a memory killer. In short make an OS X that was for desktop users like Snow Leopard. Hopefully El Captain or whatever they're calling it will not be as buggy and bloated as Yosemite.

May 9, 2016 11:35 AM in response to Chris Ibsen

I have the identical issue, and I am running Safari Version 9.1 with El Capitan 10.11.4, although it has been happening for a long time now. This is on an iMac with 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB.

Certain forums that I go to always load a current page on initial visit or if I hit refresh. But if I hit the back button after reading a thread, Safari uses a cached version of the page rather than the last version visited. The cached version it uses may be a day old, even though I have visited the page many times since that copy of the page was current. Something is preventing Safari from updating its cached page each time I viist. I often have a lot of tabs open in Safari (e.g. I currently have 20 tabs in two windows).

Is this a known issue, or is it controllable by Safari preferences, or ??

May 10, 2016 7:29 AM in response to swtools

Safari/Preferences/Advanced - enable the Develop menu, then go there and Empty Caches. Quit/reopen Safari and test. Then try Safari/History/Show History and delete all history items. Quit/reopen Safari and test. You can also try try Safari/Clear History…. The down side is it clears all cookies.Doing this may cause some sites to no longer recognize your computer as one that has visited the web site. Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library./Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db and move it to the trash.

Go to Safari Preferences/Extensions and turn all extensions off. Test. If okay, turn the extensions on one by one until you figure out what extension is causing the problem.

Safari Corruption See post by Linc Davis

May 10, 2016 8:01 AM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric, I don't think this is related to corruption or cache. I enabled the develop menu and watched the inspector's network tab as I visited this page:

http://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewforum.php?f=1

Each time I read a thread I pressed the back button, and it took me to a cached version of the page, not the current version, which is of course dynamically updated since it tracks the threads being read. Then I pressed the refresh button, which brought up the correct, up-to-date page. The network tab showed that when I pressed the back button, the "viewforum.php" script was usually not run, and the cached status changed from no to yes. When I pressed the refresh button, viewforum.php was always run, its cached status was always no, and it took time to execute. I believe that script refreshes the page content. Can you explain the differences in behavior between pressing "back" and pressing "refresh" for the same page?

May 11, 2016 8:08 AM in response to Eric Root

In the network tab of the web inspector window, which has been enabled from the Develop menu.

When pressing back from a thread, often viewforum.php is not run and its cached status is yes and an out of date version of the page is displayed. Sometimes (not often) it is run, in which case the page is up-to-date. I don't pretend to understand the logic.

BTW, I clicked on the cached column so that the resources would be sorted by cached status, with status = no at top, which makes it a lot easier to see the behavior.

Safari showing older web pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.