Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2015 Air -- Trim and PCIe SSD..

I recently purchased a 2015 MacBook Air 128GB, Core i7 w/8GB RAM. So far I love the computer, and as my other computer is a MacBook Pro (mid 2012, i5, 16GB RAM) w/ 512GB SSD with the trimforce command enabled, I naturally ran the trimforce command on my new MacBook Air.. After it rebooted from running the command, I went to check in the system report to make sure trim was enabled, but couldn't find any evidence of it... So after doing some googling, I read that trim is not supported on PCIe SSD models... Was this a bad thing to run the trimforce command? Should I disable it on the MBA? I can't imagine it's a bad thing to have trimforce enabled on my MacBook Air, but as I'm aware that Apple enables trim for all of their stock SSDs (which is what's in my MBA..) I guess I probably don't need to enable anyway..so I guess I'm asking two questions.. Was it bad to run trimforce on the new MBA; and since I did, should I disable it since it's technically not supported, and Apple enables trim by default for their stock SSDs..? Thank you in advance for any responses!

-Scott

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), Core i7, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 12:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 12:46 PM

You do not need TRIM. The command is available for third-party SSDs that do need TRIM. You should disable it. Here is a good article to read: Trim Talk.

2 replies

2015 Air -- Trim and PCIe SSD..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.