Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet keeps dropping

Hi,

For the past couple of years my iMac's internet has been dropping intermittently - usually when I try to stream something that's of a higher quality.

It's happened on various routers over time, I've never got round to trying to sort it out as the problem becomes bearable for a few weeks at a time then gets worse again - at the moment it's really bad - almost cutting out every few minutes.

To get the internet to work again I have to turn my Wi-Fi off and on again.

When the internet drops out, I'm still connected to the router with full signal but on my Chrome browser it says 'Resolving host'.

I've tried so many things on different websites/forums but no fix seems to work...

Can someone help me finally sort this issue?

If it helps, I've got a Diagnostics report file that picked up the internet dropping.

Many thanks,

Adam

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 2:09 PM

3 replies

Aug 29, 2015 3:45 PM in response to adamsears

Might be corrupted network preferences.

Open the Finder. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

Click Go then move all the files in the SystemConfiguration folder to the Trash.

Restart your Mac. See if that makes a difference.

Your Mac will generate a new SystemConfiguration folder for you.

Aug 30, 2015 3:12 AM in response to adamsears

try connecting your mac by wired ethernet cable to the router just to see if it also happens then

then it's likely an issue with your ISP or the router

if it does not then it could be an issue with the routers wifi part (a firmware upgrade from the manufacture would likely help)

or something wrong with your mac in which cause try How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Internet keeps dropping

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.