Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't link to website from mail after sleep mode

All of a sudden I can't link to a web site from an embedded link in a mail document. I have tried doing a hard reboot and this does work but the same thing happens again as soon as the iPad goes to sleep and I awaken it. It is also happening on my iPhone. Is this a new bug? Any suggestions? Apple?

iPad Air, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 1:47 PM

5 replies

Aug 30, 2015 1:59 PM in response to rmlevine

Hi rmlevine,

I understand your iPad is unresponsive when it wakes from sleep. Is this only happening in Mail? In a specific email message, or all messages? You may need to force quit the Mail app on your device to reset it.

Force an app to close in iOS - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201330

Is this happening because of the Auto-Lock feature on your iPad, or when you press the Sleep/Wake button? If you change the Auto-Lock feature to Never, the iPad won't go to sleep on it's own. Is this something you want to try?

iPad User Guide - Set the auto-lock time
https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1595/en_US/ipad_user_guide.pdf
Set the auto-lock time. Go to Settings > General > Auto-Lock.

If neither of these options resolves your issue, please reply back with more information and we'll delve into this a little further.

Regards,

Aug 30, 2015 7:25 PM in response to judysings

Thanks for your reply. My iPad is not unresponsive. It simply stops allowing me to link to a web site from an embedded link in all mail documents. The same thing is happening on my iPhone 6. This started happening when I moved to iOS 8.4.1. Force quitting the mail app and/or the safari app does not solve the problem. The only things that does is doing a hard reboot of the entire system.

Aug 31, 2015 6:47 AM in response to rmlevine

Hi rmlevine,

Thanks for helping me understand your issue a little better. So, your embedded links work fine in the Mail app as long as the iPhone or iPad is awake. But upon waking from sleep, the embedded links in Mail will not open in Safari. This is only happening in iOS 8.4.1.

rmlevine, can you check the Safari setting on your iPhone and iPad? From the home screen tap Settings > Safari > Open Links. What option is selected? "In New Tab" will open the link and take you to it. "In Background" will not immediately show you the link. When you open Safari, you will see it. So, enable the "In New Tab" option and see if it makes a difference.

In the Safari settings, you could also choose to Clear History and Data to reset the app.

If one of these these steps doesn't resolve the issue, back up both of your devices, and try to update the iOS software on one of them. If updating does not work, you may need to restore the device. If the issue is resolved this way, then follow the same steps for the second device.

iCloud: Back up your iOS device to iCloud
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12520?locale=en_US

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch doesn't respond or doesn't turn on - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201412

1. Connect your device to a computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, you can borrow one, or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
  2. While your device is connected, force it to restart. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. Don't release when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding until you see the Recovery mode screen.

User uploaded file

3. When you get the option to restore or update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data.

User uploaded file

iTunes will download the software for your device. If it takes more than 15 minutes, your device will exit recovery mode and you'll need to repeat steps 2 and 3 again.

Take care,

Can't link to website from mail after sleep mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.