Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remote backup using a mac mini

Hello...I have a 2.6 Ghz Mac Mini that I would like to use as a remote, i.e. over the internet, backup for a MacBook Pro using Carbon Copy Cloner. Both systems are running Yosemite. I can see the mini when I am connected via my local network, but do not seem to be able to connect to it when I try to access via the internet. I thought that it might have to do with port forwarding, and have tried all sorts of combinations, all to no avail, so I am now at the stage whereby I feel that I have just missed something obvious. Can anybody please advise if there is a simple step by step guide somewhere that will help me achieve my objective? Many thanks.

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 3:22 PM

1 reply

Aug 30, 2015 2:49 AM in response to stoneleighpapillons

You need to set up your modem or router in your home network to allow

external access to computers on your network. How this is accomplished

totally depends on the particular modem or router that you are using.

Also note, unless you have a commercial account or have arranged to have a fixed

IP assigned, your IP address to the outside world will change periodically.

One side issue to consider with something like Carbon Copy Clone is the amount of data

that is going to be transported and you could end up with issues with data caps.

Remote backup using a mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.