Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

restore messages from PC to iphone

iPhone is in need of an ios restore (not a backup restore) --according to Apple Genius. That will delete everything on the iPhone. OK. If I do the ios restore and then re-sync from PC (not Mac) backup, I know photos, address book, apps will sync fine --but what about text messages? Can't afford to lose those. I suppose I could use my wife's Mac to backup there or even setup an iCloud account to backup there. The backup will still have the ios issue so still need to do the ios restore and then sync. But will text messages be lost or will they appear after the sync?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 3:30 PM

6 replies

Aug 29, 2015 3:43 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

So, when I do the ios restore and everything is deleted from the iphone and then sync, I will get address book, photos, apps --but NO text message history? I will have a clean message app with none of the multi-year text messages? If I understand this correctly, you are telling me that backing up an iPhone backs up the text message history but then syncing will not restore that history although a restore from the backup does restore that text history. Surely there is a way around this. I need that text message history.

Aug 29, 2015 3:50 PM in response to eddy7491

When you back up the phone to iTunes or iCloud all data on the phone is backed up, including messages. All of the data goes into the backup database. This does not include music or apps, because they can be synced, but does include your address book, photos, texts, notes, email etc. (see: iTunes: About iOS backups). When you restore the backup all of this information is restored. It is important NOT to sync, however, because syncing will overwrite the old backup. You said you were told NOT to do a Backup Restore. But that's the only way to get your content and your messages back.

Aug 29, 2015 3:53 PM in response to eddy7491

It just occured to me that you need to update iOS first. If that's the case do it this way:

• Before connecting the phone Go to iTunes Preferences on your computer, Devices tab, and check the box to not automatically sync.
  • Connect the phone and DO NOT SYNC.
  • Click the Restore iPhone button.
  • When that finishes you should be asked if you want to set up as New or restore a backup. Choose Restore Backup.

This should restore all of your data.

restore messages from PC to iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.