Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WiFi connectivity

my iphone 5 will not recognize the password on my router. I have been using he router for a couple years with this phone but it suddenly does not communicate. Why not?

iPhone 5, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 5:07 PM

4 replies

Aug 29, 2015 5:32 PM in response to edmills43

If you are receiving a password incorrect message or unable to join network, then your router is rejecting your iPhone. routers can reject for a number of reasons, usually because of an incorrect password. You can also have reached the max devices allowed on the router at a time, sometimes this is defaulted to 10. At the end of the day, I would try unplugging your router for about 30 seconds, then letting it both back up, also restart your iPhone. Try the password again. Also, make sure other devices can join the router by forgetting your network on the other device then reconnect.

Aug 29, 2015 7:16 PM in response to edmills43

Ed, is the phone the only device that does not connect?

Do you have a computer or an iPad and if so, do they connect?

If they do, the router is not likely the issue. I would reboot the router any way, never hurts - unplug it for about 2 minutes and then plug it back in.

Then go your phone Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

Then do a forced restart. Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it comes up. You will not lose anything.

Then go back to Settings > Wi-Fi and add your account again.

Hopefully your phone will connect. If not, please go to a public Wi-Fi like a coffee shop, or perhaps a neighbor and try connecting there. Then post back with the results. If you are able to connect with other networks but just not at home, and your other Wi-Fi devices at home connect with the router without issues, then it gets a bit more complicated. The phone may need a restore or it could possibly be defective or it could be an iOS issue. There have been many "password reject" problems reported on this forum since iOS 8 came out which affect a small subset of users. iOS 8.3 included some fixes but some users are reporting problems still. Here is a link to a very large thread on the subject. iOS 8 Wi-Fi problems

Hopefully the steps on top will take care of it. Good luck.

Aug 30, 2015 2:56 AM in response to elcpu

Thanks for your response. I reset the d-link Verizon router to its default settings by inserting a paperclip into the back of the unit. My laptop reconnected to the device. I went to settings on my iphone and pressed "reset network settings". I rebooted my iphone 5 by holding down the home and start buttons until the apple logo appeared. I waited a couple minutes and then held down the start button until the apple logo and then my opening screen came up. I went to settings > WiFi and my iPhone found the router and asked for my password. I entered the password written on the label on the bottom of the router and the message "incorrect password" came up, again. I will go to Starbucks later this morning and try connecting there. I have ios 8.4.1 loaded.

Aug 30, 2015 6:15 AM in response to edmills43

Good morning Ed.

Did your laptop ask for a password when it reconnected? If it did not, then it was using the previously stored PW in the PC and since you did a hard reset on the router with the paperclip (good) then the router reverted to its default PW. Thus the PW you had been using in the past must have been the default. If you held the paperclip in place long enough for the router to reboot properly and then the router rebooted from scratch everything should be set to default, not just the password. I would go to the Verizon D-Link website with your router model # and confirm what settings you need to enter now. Since the PC connects OK I suspect that it is fine as-is but just in case. I am just confirming that the router is OK and the PW you are entered is the proper one before you do other steps. Please let us know the results of your Starbucks test. Also the router model number and its age, thanks. Good luck.

elcpu

WiFi connectivity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.