Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.2.2.25 Deleted Songs and Playlists

I updated my computer and it updated iTunes to version 12.2.2.25. But all of my playlists and most of my songs were deleted and un-downloaded on my computer. Now I have the iCloud Download symbol next to every single song, but not all of my songs are there. And all of my playlists are gone. I'm scared to plug in my iPhone because I don't want them to delete from my phone too. Did anyone else have the same problem and find a way to get the songs and playlists back like it was before the update?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 5:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 7:27 AM

Hi mmmitchell,

This has happened to other folks, too. Here's the best way I know to fix it.

First, just to check: in iTunes, at the upper left corner of the window, look for a little "home" symbol with an up-down toggle that lets you switch between "This Computer" and "[username]'s Music" or something like that. If this is set to This Computer, and all your playlists and music are still missing, do this:

1. In iTunes > Preferences > General, turn off "Show Apple Music" and "iCloud Music Library." Then quit iTunes.

2. Find the folder Music / iTunes, and look for a document called iTunes Library.itl. Drag this file to the desktop.

3. In this same folder, you should find another folder called Previous iTunes Libraries. The files there will have names like "iTunes Library 2015-08-15.itl". Choose the one with the most recent date, and make a copy of this file (Command-D or File > Duplicate). Rename the copy to "iTunes Library.itl"

4. Drag this new file into the iTunes folder, replacing the one you just dragged to the desktop.

5. Take a deep breath and restart iTunes.

If all goes well, you should be seeing your music library as it looked before the meltdown. Please remember that if you added music or created playlists between the date of the iTunes Library backup and today, you'll need to re-import that music and re-create those playlists. (If you have trouble remembering or locating the music, there's an Applescript utility to help with this -- just post a follow-up.)

I hope this helps!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2015 7:27 AM in response to mmmitchell123

Hi mmmitchell,

This has happened to other folks, too. Here's the best way I know to fix it.

First, just to check: in iTunes, at the upper left corner of the window, look for a little "home" symbol with an up-down toggle that lets you switch between "This Computer" and "[username]'s Music" or something like that. If this is set to This Computer, and all your playlists and music are still missing, do this:

1. In iTunes > Preferences > General, turn off "Show Apple Music" and "iCloud Music Library." Then quit iTunes.

2. Find the folder Music / iTunes, and look for a document called iTunes Library.itl. Drag this file to the desktop.

3. In this same folder, you should find another folder called Previous iTunes Libraries. The files there will have names like "iTunes Library 2015-08-15.itl". Choose the one with the most recent date, and make a copy of this file (Command-D or File > Duplicate). Rename the copy to "iTunes Library.itl"

4. Drag this new file into the iTunes folder, replacing the one you just dragged to the desktop.

5. Take a deep breath and restart iTunes.

If all goes well, you should be seeing your music library as it looked before the meltdown. Please remember that if you added music or created playlists between the date of the iTunes Library backup and today, you'll need to re-import that music and re-create those playlists. (If you have trouble remembering or locating the music, there's an Applescript utility to help with this -- just post a follow-up.)

I hope this helps!

Oct 8, 2015 6:40 AM in response to richard grant

Hi Richard,

I have the same problem (and version of iTunes and OSX) but the process you outlined didn't work, unfortunately. My iTunes still shows the iCloud download symbol next to every song, and not all of my songs are there.

I am unable to locate the ""home" symbol with an up-down toggle " to check if that is the issue.

Of note, after I restart iTunes, there are two iTunes Library(.itl) files in my iTunes folder. Not sure if that is normal, or if iTunes is simply not using the old .itl file I am putting in the folder.

Thanks for any help,

Steve

iTunes 12.2.2.25 Deleted Songs and Playlists

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.