Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am having problems with random external drive ejects. Will El Capitan fix this problem?

My usb external drives are ejecting suddenly and without warning by themselves at random. 😠 I this is problem being dealt with in the upcoming release of El Capitan? The problem persisted in Mavericks and I am currently running Yosemite. I have tried various fixes mention on the internet to no avail. Is there any solution at this time for this?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 5:04 PM

7 replies

Aug 29, 2015 6:22 PM in response to cmdrspockncc1701

You have a persistent unsolved problem. It is extremely unlikely that a new major version of the software will make it better, because Apple does not recognize this problem as a system problem.

As far as I can tell, this is a problem with YOUR setup, or your understanding of how it is supposed to work.

--------

If your Mac goes to sleep, it may drop USB power to levels so low that high-draw devices such as Bus-powered Hard Drives "drop out". When power is restored, some models do not reliably "come back".

The best solution for this problem is to use Drives with an external power supply. Those continue to be as solid as possible.

I am having problems with random external drive ejects. Will El Capitan fix this problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.