Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why do I need to be connected to WiFi to play music?

I purposely did not update my music to Apple Music because of all the issues of lost playlists and lost music after the download from many users. on this discussion I finally upgraded after the second AM upgrade thinking that most of these issues would be addressed, apparently not. I have not purchased much music from iTunes since I have an extensive library of Classical, Classical Rock and Jazz which I have painfully copied, made playlists, and was perfectly happy with the way iTunes operated----before AM. Now, most of my library is still on my computer, I say most, because a very favorite album of mine was lost and I do not have it any longer, so I had to download it from iTunes and then I wanted to play it in my car using BT and guess what, my phone says, "You must be connected to your wifi to listen!" Not only that favorite album, but many other albums were met with the same nasty note from my phone. Sitting in the doctors office listening to music, its not going to happen with this lousy system.

I'm sure there is a "toggle" somewhere that i didn't toggle, or did toggle and it screwed up the entire library. So if there is anyone out there that can help me move MY ENTIRE LIBRARY to my phone, I would be eternally grateful.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), 3 MBA's, 1 Thnderbolt Display

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 6:03 PM

13 replies

Nov 5, 2017 9:28 PM in response to Michael Sanford1

You probably figured out an answer by now, but as a very low-tech senior, I didn't like being connected to WiFi when I synched my iPod, as Apple changed my album artwork. So now, I do two things: 1) I put on Airplane Mode...this prevents Apple from communicating with my device just like when you're flying. 2) I also disconnect WiFi when I synch as an added precaution. When I play my music on either my iPod, I still keep Airplane Mode on, and I do not connect to WiFi, and I always am able to listen. I do get reminders that my iPod is not connected to WiFi but I just ignore the messages.

Aug 29, 2015 6:15 PM in response to Michael Sanford1

You might have the option on to show only Apple Music Playlist. From Music, select My Music > Playlists and about 1/3 way down is a Red title that should say All Playlist. If not, click that and choose all Playlists.

Apple Music has been reported to lose Music as you know. You can check what is on your iPhone by selecting My Music > Library > the red text about a 1/3 of the way down (Artists, Songs, etc.) and switch Show Music Available Offline on (green). Then you can see what you have downloaded.

When you enable Apple Music, iTunes stops syncing music from your CD library since you can access all those songs theoretically from My Music now. But I didn't like the idea of being dependent on wireless and cellular data coverage to access my songs and didn't want to download my 3,000 favorites from Apple's cloud. What I did was turned off iCloud Music Library (iTunes Preferences > iCloud Music Library check box). Selected the device in iTunes and choose music the old way by checking sync selected music and synced the device. That put my songs on my iPhone. Then I turned iCloud Music Library back on and I have my 3,000 favorites on the Phone and access to My Music.

Aug 29, 2015 6:45 PM in response to UGADog

The one thing I did do right was to never authorize Apple Music. But to your suggestions, I don't see what you're suggesting about "My Music" According to the information under My Music, I only have two albums downloaded and I have no options to select "playlists" from any drop down menu. I have checked all of my IOS devices and I do not have AM selected. I will re-sync my phone and see if that solves the problem. I'm still at a loss.

Oct 22, 2015 8:42 PM in response to Michael Sanford1

Hi, not sure if we have the same problem.

I had the dilemma of ALL of my purchases being shown on 'My Music' on my iPhone. I fixed it by going to My Music > Red Tab to change between Songs, Albums, etc. and turned off 'Show iTunes Purchases'. I understand that your album was purchased to try and download it on your PC then sync it on your phone then turn of the 'Show Purchases'...

Hope in all this mumbo-jumbo I just typed you have found what you needed.

why do I need to be connected to WiFi to play music?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.