Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

erasing old iphone 5 for resale, new iphone 6 gets deleted too!

I went through all the procedures of updating my new iphone 6+ to ios 8.4 etc. so I could do a backup from icloud of my old iphone 5. It went well, the iphone 6 was synched with icloud and everything looked fine. In order to give my iphone 5 to a new person, I followed these instructions: What to do before selling or giving away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

When I got to the part about going to icloud to remove the iphone 5, which I did: "delete phone, remove from account" then my iphone 6 also got deleted!!!!

Now I cannot activate my iphone 6 from the cloud or itunes!

On the phone it says "your iphone could not be activated because the activation server is temporarily unavailable. Try connecting your iphone to itunes to activate it..."

On itunes it says "the SIM card inserted in this iphone is PIN locked, please unlock the SIM card and connect your phone to itunes again"

I CAN'T UNLOCK THE SIM CARD because I CAN'T GET PAST THE MESSAGE ON THE IPHONE THAT SAYS "your phone could not be activated....etc."

HELP!

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 10:31 PM

1 reply

Aug 30, 2015 12:23 AM in response to Amystone

I figured it out... since I activated the iphone 6 from an iphone 5 backup, both phones HAD THE SAME NAME! I didn't notice, nor did I think icloud would let you have two phones with the same name, but that is why they both got erased.

I did a forced restore on the iphone 6, via itunes, (connect to itunes, hold in home button and start button until itunes connect shows up, choose restore). Then I could put in my SIM card PIN and go further to the icloud backup. It was after I had backed up I noticed this new phone had the old phone's name. Changed that in the itunes pane and it should be fine from now on.

phew!

No one answered here, but I think others might need this help...

erasing old iphone 5 for resale, new iphone 6 gets deleted too!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.