Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to maintain battery life for macbook pro retina 13

I just got my Macbook pro retina display 13 inch. I am looking for some tips to maintain my battery life and performance.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 8:10 PM

3 replies

Aug 29, 2015 8:59 PM in response to shyam1906

Letting the battery die once in a while, maybe once a month will help. Leave it dead for a couple of hours and then charge it fully back up. Don't overcharge at all, never leave the charger plugged in, this significantly lowered the battery life on a lot of my mac products. Always unplug when the battery is full.

Congrats on your new Macbook Pro! 🙂

Aug 30, 2015 4:09 AM in response to shyam1906

Here are Apple support articles on batteries and chargers:

https://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

I have two golden rules:

If you use your MBP connected to the charger all of the time. at least once per month use it under battery power to about the 40% charge level. Lithium ion batteries require 'exercise' in order to maintain maximum heath.

Deep discharges or running a battery down to where the MBP turns off shortens battery life. When you see the low battery level warning, terminate your session and connect to AC.

Ciao.

Aug 30, 2015 4:17 AM in response to Niqabi

Niqabi wrote:

Letting the battery die once in a while, maybe once a month will help. Leave it dead for a couple of hours and then charge it fully back up.

Totally discharging a lithium ion battery shortens the useful life of the battery. It should NOT be done.

Don't overcharge at all, never leave the charger plugged in, this significantly lowered the battery life on a lot of my mac products. Always unplug when the battery is full.

The battery charging is controlled by the OSX. It can NOT be overcharged. You certainly can leave the MBP connected to AC so long as periodic use with the battery is carried out as described in my post. You do not have to unplug the charged when the battery has been fully charged.

I suggest that you read the information on lithium ion batteries published on the BATTERY UNIVERSITY web site and gain a technical understanding of the nature of these batteries.

Ciao.

how to maintain battery life for macbook pro retina 13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.