Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Firewire cable help

I have a firewire 400 external HDD that I'd like to get connected to my i3 iMac 3.06 GHz (2011, I think. Model Identifier: iMac11,2). Having a hard time finding the right cable. I got one that connects OK to an MBP, but not to the iMac. All I get from About This Mac is:

FireWire Bus: Maximum Speed: Up to 800 Mb/sec.

How can I tell what cable will work? The HDD part is no mystery—it's the iMac side that's confusing. It's a bit hard to match up the iMac's f/w port with cable pics on the web, so I am thinking I would need more info about the cable. TIA.

(Don't think it matters, but OS = 10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 7:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 8:01 PM

A FireWire 400 to 800 cable, also known as 6-pin to 9-pin.

(132564)

5 replies

Aug 30, 2015 8:15 AM in response to Rudegar

I unplugged and compared firewire cables. Although the terminus of the iMac end of the 800/800 and the 800/400 didn't look the same—one had a small, plug-like object in its center; the other did not—they were obviously the same overall size. The short story is that I got the cable in question seated in the iMac's port, the drive appears on my desktop, and it is available r/w. Sincere thanks to all!!

(BTW, the iMac does show more info about the drive, although not about the connecting cable.)

Firewire cable help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.