Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just want to create a Pie Chart

I take this table data and ask Number to create a a Pie Chart

User uploaded file

This is what I get from Numbers:

User uploaded file

I take the exact same data in excel and do the same thing and this is what excel gives me:

User uploaded file

Excel delivers what I want, but I would prefer to do it in Numbers. Any ideas?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), iMac 27" Intel

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 8:20 PM

3 replies

Aug 29, 2015 8:34 PM in response to derek_bell@mac.com

In numbers the you need to have a table designated for your pie chart. The columns need to be a header row and tyou need one Column A to be a header column; to do this you can choose format > table > header and footers. Your table will look similar to this, notice the darker rows are the headers.

Option

Response

Morning

Lunch

Afternoon

and your pie will look like this:

User uploaded file

Aug 29, 2015 8:49 PM in response to charles.christian14

I am assuming that you are new to Numbers. This software is based a tables not an open space like Excel. There are many similarities in the functions of Numbers and excel, but in Numbers it is best to have tables aside from your data entry tables that perform the summaries and charts that you may want. You can create charts based off of the summary tables or have separate tables for your charts. The softwares are different, but most problems that you run into can be solved with a little fortitude and willingness to learn a new software. I hope that you enjoy using Numbers and remember the people on this forum are extremely clever and very willing to help.

I just want to create a Pie Chart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.