Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Alchemy installation issue - Not completing and "Additional Content" is not accurate

All,

If you have experience such an issue as mine listed below, I have logged a bug with Apple: 22491270

Here are the details:

I ensured that I had ample storage space on my HD to install all of the new Alchemy Sound Libraries and a few others listed in the Additional Content section. Logic got 99.9% complete and hung on a progress indicator. Logic copied a lot of files into various locations, however Logic itself doesn't recognize that I've got them installed.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. I clicked on Install

2. After about an hour it was completed, however the progress dialog was stuck at the end, saying there was 5 seconds left till completion. That progress dialog would not go away for about 30-40 minutes.

3. I quit Logic, then re-opened the App.

4. I received an alert that said would I like to resume the download.

5. I taped on yes, or whatever affirmative button appeared.

6. I then got a dialog stating I didn't have enough space on my hard disk.

This area of the app needs help, especially on my system (Running Yosemite 10.10.5).

I'll Let you know if I hear from Apple about this.

Also, if anyone knows how to delete everything (all libraries, samples, etc), and start over with the "Additional Content"

I'd appreciate if you could share.

Thanks!

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 7:51 PM

13 replies

Aug 30, 2015 3:42 AM in response to BenB

BenB,

I had a quick look at FCS Remover, and their web site listed what it removed, and I didn't see any Logic Pro x specific items.

What it removes

• Final Cut Pro / Express
  • Final Cut Pro X
  • Final Cut Server
  • Motion
  • Soundtrack Pro
  • Compressor
  • Color
  • DVD Studio Pro
  • LiveType
  • Cinema Tools
  • Batch Monitor
  • Qmaster

I'm not inclined to try this yet.

I'll search here in the forum to see if others had success removing Logic Pro X files successfully.

Aug 30, 2015 10:11 AM in response to chinjazz

6. I then got a dialog stating I didn't have enough space on my hard disk.

The installation requires twice as much space as the download.... so I'm guessing your System Drive is almost full.

Note: This lack of System drive space... without even considering the LPX issue you are having... is never good as OS X itself requires about 20% or more free space on your System Drive for best performance. Time to uninstall / delete stuff you don't need on your system drive........ or move for example, your photo's library to an external drive. Don't delete or move anything before you fully understand any possible consequences in doing so.

Once you have freed up plenty of System HD space, the LPX installation should work normally.

If it doesn't let us know as there are a couple of things you can then do to repair the problem... Deleting LPX is not one of them.

Aug 30, 2015 1:37 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

Hey Art of Sound,

Actually I'm fully aware of the affects of low System drive space. I went thru the process of making room for the Alchemy prior to upgrade.

Something is simply not working when it comes to the installer of Additional Content because the installer said it had 5 seconds left to finish, but hung there. A the time I force quit Logic I had 20Gig available.

I believe everything installed because I can now use Alchemy, but I'm not exactly sure if the whole thing is there. Happen to know how many presets constitutes the whole upgrade library?

Worse case I would literally go by hand an remove Logic completely including all sample libs, loops, etc etc... And start over, but really I believe that

is quite wrong as far as making a customer go thru that.

Thanks

Aug 30, 2015 3:06 PM in response to chinjazz

Something is simply not working when it comes to the installer of Additional Content because the installer said it had 5 seconds left to finish, but hung there. A the time I force quit Logic I had 20Gig available.

That's the thing... You need at least 24GB free at that point..... and again, that's nowhere near enough for OS X to function correctly and efficiently in anyhow... which tells me you aren't as aware of the consequences of low disk space as you believe you are...

However, you may have another issue....

At that point, (the 5 sec marker) OS X should ask for your Admin password so the content can be installed.. Did you get that dialog box? If you didn't then that's part of your issue....

And start over, but really I believe that is quite wrong as far as making a customer go thru that.

Given Apple are not here.. because they don't frequent these User supported forums... I can only speak for myself... and in that, no one is making you do anything..... It sounds more like this is a User issue.... in the way you are using your system and how things are generally configured by yourself...to be honest...

As an example, I have complete personally, 9 installations of 10.2 plus all additional content plus assisted maybe close to 20 clients do the same thing in the last week.. and not one problem... so long as some basic prep work was done like ensuring plenty of System disk space was available... No LPX content was assigned to aliases prior to the update and the disk was error checked and permissions repaired... and all other apps (foreground and background) were not running during installation,

So.. as i said earlier, I have only ever had to recommend full deletion of LPX and it's content to someone... (actually a wipe out of the system disk and full reinstall of OS X and LPX) because they had made such a hash of moving stuff around without understanding the consequences of doing so... it was just simpler to do that and start again from scratch rather than try and fix the many issues that were arising from what he had done in the past.

In your case, you may need to revert back to your previous configuration using your backups and then, clear space on your system drive.. repair perms and check the disk for errors.. before you do the update and download of the additional content once more. Hopefully that wont be needed but be aware, that might be you solution if things keep causing problems.

As for the content.. if you did the refresh of the Alchemy content inside of Alchemy itself (the large file button then Refresh) then you should be fine....

Aug 31, 2015 9:15 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

IT was actually something else wonky going on.

Without doing anything, this morning it appeared as though I hadn't done any downloading

of the additional content and gave me back what I started out with Before.

I hadn't done any attempts to delete or things of that nature.

I thought to give it another try Tonight.

It worked and I've got many Gigs to spare!

I think that the installer copied the files to a temp space

initially and later removed them (thus re-allocating back in used

disk). This was one of those very odd things that "Just Works"

but maybe not so smoothly.

Oct 21, 2015 2:00 PM in response to chinjazz

Hi All,

i'm having a similar problem: i had to cancel the Alchemy content download process a few days ago, and seems like i'm stuck with only 4GB of samples, but the download content dialog says all of the Alchemy packs are installed. I've trier reinstalling Logic, removed preferences, the whole library, restarting, but whenever i reinstall Logic, the content dialog still shows the very same state. Am i missing something, is there any way to completely remove the soundbanks and start fresh? I have plenty of free space, that shouldn't be an issue.

Thank you!

Mate

Nov 12, 2015 1:20 AM in response to chinjazz

newby here. hello! i had problem where as logic tried to in stall alchemy content computer froze. None had actually been installed. and when Logic again asked i I wanted to download alchemy content it said i hadn't enough space. I found where content had been downloaded to, using disk inventory, and decided rather than manually install all the files i deleted them and re downloaded them again. hope that helps some newbys like me!

Alchemy installation issue - Not completing and "Additional Content" is not accurate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.