Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is this even working?

About 20% of the time I use ARD 3.8, it seems to work. Most of the time it does not.

1. Machine names don't get reported back during a network discovery. I see IP addresses, not names.
  2. When I do a scan using the Task Server, most of the time nothing is returned
  3. When machines finally are returned, I cannot authenticate with them no matter what I do. I am using the correct admin username and password, and it works from the task server itself, just not when authenticating through the task server.
  4. About 50% of the time, the software just will not launch at all. I have to force quit and re-launch.
  5. Constant "Critical Error Has Occurred" messages.
  6. Most of the time I can't even validate my task server, this usually happens when I try to change the task server address

What is the deal here? This used to be rock solid software that made an admin's life so much better, and now I find myself spending more time quitting and relaunching ARD than I do getting any actual work done.

Has anyone else had these problems, and is there a fix? I've uninstalled per Apple's instruction about 50 times now, and I'd like to hope there is an actual fix out there for this.

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 10:59 PM

1 reply

Sep 4, 2015 2:25 AM in response to InkFreq

I have seen some of the problems you've described over the years but to me they are the constant 'features' that have always been there and are part of the 'fun' associated with using it. I've not found them to hamper my use of it in any major way. Minor irritations really.

To try and be more helpful have seen 1 and 3. To me both are not a problem and although I can't be 100% certain and in my experience are mostly to do with how the network I was in (I've been in many) was configured. For example segmented/multiple subnets etc, VLANs and legacy 'rules/configurations' associated with them; so-called network administrators fiddling or not knowing what to do etc; DNS & DHCP services not properly configured etc; broadcast protocols being blocked and so on. In fact when I think about it all or some of these could explain all your other points apart from point 4.

Point 4 I've rarely seen and when I have it was usually because of a problem with the OS, drive/directory, both or a 3rd Party extension or application trying to use the same resources as it.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Is this even working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.