Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm keeping my iTunes library on Google Drive, but new music disappears after I close and re-open iTunes.

I have a 400 GB iTunes library, which, up until recently, I kept on an external hard drive. About a month ago, a virus destroyed all the data on the external drive. Fortunately, I was able to restore my iTunes library with via back up, but after the incident I decided to store all my files, including my iTunes library, on Google Drive. So I went ahead and moved my iTunes library to the Google Drive folder on my PC (which automatically uploads copies of all the files to the cloud) and redirected the library location in iTunes to the appropriate Google Drive folder.

I opened iTunes and all my music files were there and playing and everything appeared to be functioning like normal. But now when I add new music, if I close and re-open iTunes, the new songs are missing. They’re still present in the actual iTunes music folder in Google Drive and I’m able import them back into iTunes, where they are still playable. But when I close and re-open iTunes, the tracks are missing again.

It’s as if iTunes doesn’t remember that the new songs are there. I assume that there some sort of problem occurring with my iTunes library (itl) file or iTunes music library (xml) file not updating and saving properly to Google Drive. I’ve noticed that there’s a Sentinel file that keeps getting uploaded when I close out iTunes. I’ve also noticed that Google Drive sometimes fails at uploading temp files when I close iTunes. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 9:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 9:25 PM

My only suggestion is to not have your iTunes Library on a virtual drive as it can create all types of issues like this one. I'd recommend keeping it on a local drive live you were before and just backing up the physical drive regularly to your virtual drive or another physical device. Good luck!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2015 9:25 PM in response to mochalex

My only suggestion is to not have your iTunes Library on a virtual drive as it can create all types of issues like this one. I'd recommend keeping it on a local drive live you were before and just backing up the physical drive regularly to your virtual drive or another physical device. Good luck!

I'm keeping my iTunes library on Google Drive, but new music disappears after I close and re-open iTunes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.