Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

after restore from back up am back to set up as new or restore from back up again?

Hello please can you help.

When trying to update a friends ipad for her which was quite full.... I backed up, tried to update and was told there was not enough room, i copied some photos and videos to her windows vista laptop and then deleted some of those that I could see copied. Updated her laptop windows vista things to make sure downloaded latest version of iTunes that the version of vista would take 12.1 i think and then tried again. This time it started the process then at the final moment where it goes to Apple to verify before switching the iPad back on it came up with an error-1. I tried to update again with same problem then it all went even more wrong.

Long story short I tried to do a update and restore, update took 5 hours and the restore from back up took over 3 hours only to arrive back at the screen , your ipad is now updated do you want to set up as new upad or restore from back up. I chose from back up again and the same thing.

I am at a loss for what to do now.

I thought if I moved the back up file to my mac and did the process from there it would help, but can not find the back up file on her laptop. The app folder is not there...

Help please I am desperate this is my third day trying to sort this.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.2), sync with my iPad

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 1:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 1:34 AM

First, I would recommend unplugging for iTunes for a moment, set up the iPhone as new using the prompts on the iPhone only. Check it to make sure its working 100% when set up as new and shows not updated needed in settings. Then plug it back into iTunes if you like and try to restore from backup again. If you wish to try from another computer you will need to locate her backup file to move it to your computer. Use this article to identify the backup in iTunes (the date and time mainly) then go to the folder location listed in this same article and locate the folder with that same date and time. Find and manage your iTunes backups - Apple Support Then you can copy the whole folder over to you computer in the proper location according to the article.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2015 1:34 AM in response to Lynnspain

First, I would recommend unplugging for iTunes for a moment, set up the iPhone as new using the prompts on the iPhone only. Check it to make sure its working 100% when set up as new and shows not updated needed in settings. Then plug it back into iTunes if you like and try to restore from backup again. If you wish to try from another computer you will need to locate her backup file to move it to your computer. Use this article to identify the backup in iTunes (the date and time mainly) then go to the folder location listed in this same article and locate the folder with that same date and time. Find and manage your iTunes backups - Apple Support Then you can copy the whole folder over to you computer in the proper location according to the article.

Aug 30, 2015 2:41 AM in response to Jay-Ray

Thank you Jay-Ray, What a quick response.

Took your recommendation to disconnect.

I, avoided the icloud set up on the iPad, switched off find my ipad ( as it seems to keep wanting to do that) and disconnected from itunes, unplugged it all and had breakfast... then this time when I plugged it back in Yureeeeka! it opened as normal in itunes. Not everything is back but I am just relieved it is now updating and sort of ok.

No idea why it suddenly came out of the loop! I have since read an old thread where people in desperation took the set up as new ipad route, only to find everything was there anyway, fully restored. Am beginning to wonder if I should have done that. Too late now.

I now have another problem. The email is not showing ANY emails but worse it is happening on her iphone as well since yesterday, after my first restore attempt. Does this ring any bells with you?

after restore from back up am back to set up as new or restore from back up again?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.