Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

EXIF data in Mac OS X Finder

I am using multiple camera's. When uploading my pictures, I would like to be able to sort the files in the Finder on shooting date. However, the Finder does not allow this.

I know that with the info button I can see the Exif data, however this does not allow me to sort my pictures on these data elements.

By the way, I know that the Photos app does use these dates, but I use to import my pictures in Photos only after I have processed them.

Do you have any suggestion?

Are there any software development plans to include this function into the Finder?

Thanks for any reaction,

Ruud.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2008), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 3:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 4:21 AM

I just looked at the EXIF data for one of my photos in Affinity Photo, and noticed that the date/time shown in the Date shot field matches the time that the Finder shows for creation date. If you click on the Desktop to get Finder focus, press command-F. This brings up a Finder Find window. Click on the Kind button, and all the way at the bottom is Other. These are Finder items you can enable, and many are camera related. Here is an example of showing sorted images of all Nokia N9 photos taken on Feb 7 2014.

User uploaded file

Posts are responded to by international volunteers, and rarely by Apple employees. At any rate, we are not informed of future product plans, and could not post them here if we did know, due to the restrictions on use of this site. You can provide feedback to Apple regarding OS X.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2015 4:21 AM in response to Rudolf P. V.

I just looked at the EXIF data for one of my photos in Affinity Photo, and noticed that the date/time shown in the Date shot field matches the time that the Finder shows for creation date. If you click on the Desktop to get Finder focus, press command-F. This brings up a Finder Find window. Click on the Kind button, and all the way at the bottom is Other. These are Finder items you can enable, and many are camera related. Here is an example of showing sorted images of all Nokia N9 photos taken on Feb 7 2014.

User uploaded file

Posts are responded to by international volunteers, and rarely by Apple employees. At any rate, we are not informed of future product plans, and could not post them here if we did know, due to the restrictions on use of this site. You can provide feedback to Apple regarding OS X.

Aug 3, 2016 6:07 PM in response to Eric Root

The problem with 'Created Date' and .JPG files is that once you copy them to another folder, the 'Created Date' is now the date you did the copy, not the original Date Taken.

Apple, if you're listening, please ask Microsoft how they do this. In Windows I only had to right-click the column header and select 'Date Taken' and there is my column with the original date as it came out of the camera, even if it has been copied. With what I paid for my brand new (first) Mac, I don't think I should have to write a script to get this info.

Aug 9, 2016 1:34 PM in response to Eric Root

Thanks, Eric.

I did submit this to Apple Feedback.

I find it somewhat interesting that 'Get Info' does show the name of the camera, shutter speed, aperture and focal length. They had to get that stuff from the image file. It's hard to fathom how someone at Apple just made the decision that 'Date/Time Taken' wouldn't be important to anyone! :-)

Thanks again,

Doug

EXIF data in Mac OS X Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.