Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DNS setting for OS X Server Yosemite

Hi, I've setup my os x server Yosemite, and getting a little confused about my DNS settings

On server machine, Preferences>Network>Advances I have 127.0.0.1 as I was advised to do so from Apple's support but I didn't quite understand why. Also, I've been reading on the internet that I should rather use google's public DNS service (8.8.8.8) but not sure if that is better or applicable on my situation.

Also, in my airport setting, some advised that I should enter my ISP's IP in the "DNS Servers" and some advised that I should enter the IP of my server app but not sure the difference..

if someone could explain... that will be wonderful thank you

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 2:05 AM

3 replies

Aug 30, 2015 9:02 AM in response to oreoreoreore12

What you're looking at is the client DNS setup.

That'll be set to 127.0.0.1 (the IPv4 address version of local or "me") and any other LAN-local DNS servers are configured — this on the OS X Server box — and that'll be set to the local IP address(es) of the DNS servers — this on all other local clients on the same LAN.

Server DNS is set up via Server.app. OS X Server will set up a template for that, but it'll usually need to be reworked to meet your own local configuration needs and requirements.

For OS X Server DNS, here is a write-up on how to establish DNS on OS X Server — start with that for background.

<I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.>

DNS setting for OS X Server Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.